Best Di Box for the buck

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey everyone! I need two Di´s for recording guitars in a live show and then reamped then at studio. I don´t wanna spend my whole salary on buying these so I expect there is something interesting not as expensive as a radial and shit.....
Any idea??? I think a passive one will work for me, there are no more thant 10 meters from the box to my preamp. Thankssss

If you are looking for both (DI and reamping) then in my opinion the Redeye is the way to go. I love mine, and I know a lot of others on here do to.

Redeye is great, but if you're running passive pickups it wouldn't be my first choice as they're more sensitive to differences in input impedances, and since the Redeye is passive, it's impedance isn't all that high (but it's a great transformer in there, so with active pickups I love it). Otherwise, I dunno, I really haven't messed with any DI's below the Countryman Type 85 or BSS AR-133, but for cheap stuff I've had good luck with ART, so I guess the XDirect gets my vote for a cheap option - however, scour ebay for a Countryman or BSS, they usually pop up for good prices! (and are both good, solid units, so pick whichever you can get the better deal on)

Tapco do cheap DI's that seem pretty good, though I've not had the chance to try them,

MTR DI's are pretty rock solid and not as expensive as BSS etc, though their SNR and THD specs aren't quite as good. Though I seriously doubt you'd notice in a band mix.

I just got a Countryman. They absolutely rock. Rock-solid, transparent, can handle anything you throw at it.. hell it even works as a power soak so you can run your amp right into it if you swing the impulse route. Cheap as hell too. Only cost me like $210 shipped to asshole-of-the-world land.

I've heard good things about the 50$ Whirlwind. Just a flat straight DI. I'm planing on buying it soon, so I'll fill everyone in once it arrives.

Whatever you do stay away from the cheap behringer Di's. I use some for live stuff and a couple of times I've recorded the gigs i used em on.
They're flat sounding and noisy. they suck every bit of life out of the tone. Plus we've had some reliability issues with them- lads have gotten shocks of the active ones and the passive ones decide not to work some days!!
Got a redeye for 150 euro, its about 100 times better thn the behringer di's!

Oh fuck!! I´ve just lost a bidding for a Radial Pro 48 for 70 bucks.....
I´m searching for 2 di boxes for 100$ each....I cannot pay more. I just need something transparent and reliable to work with.
For this budget, BSS ar133 is an option, or a Radial Pro...not JD´s

If you can get the BSS's then I'd go for them. Absolutely rock solid and will last you a lifetime. They're regularly used on festival stages all over the world. 1 Mohm input impedance too.

hell it even works as a power soak so you can run your amp right into it if you swing the impulse route.

Holy shit, manual says up to 1,700w @ 8ohms :lol: Well, I'm sold. They seem to go for ~$100 or less quite often.