Best DRM-free music download service?

oscillat0r

beyond silent black
Mar 20, 2009
Austin, TX
Hey guys - I still actively buy CDs but instant gratification and limited selection in local stores still drive me to buy a lot of music online, even if i buy the CD later.

I'm looking for a good service for downloading DRM-free music with a good selection of metal. DRM free specifically because I don't have an ipod and even if i did I normally listen to music on my phone or burn a data CD for the car.

* I use iTunes a lot but don't have an iphone and since fairplay went away I can't remove the DRM from my files anymore. The iTunes plus selection is still pretty limited. Though I can burn an audio CD it kills audio quality even more.

* The Zune service doesn't have a great music selection in my experience.

* Didn't like emusic when I tried it.

* Right now Amazon looks to have the best selection of DRM free music (found Atheist, Gojira, Nachtmystium, Gorguts w/o a problem)

What are your experiences and do you know of any metal-specific music services?

Thanks in advance

Jesse

Order the CD from Amazon, so you'll be legally entitled to a 'backup', and then anything is kosher.

Jeff

would be great if i could buy a CD online and get instant download of the songs to get my instant gratification. Problem is, no one wants to sell you a CD over mp3s since they make a lot more money on the latter. Shipping costs alone eat half of the mark up on CDs.

If you own a copy of the CD, you're entitled to a 'backup', which (to my knowledge, after brief discussion with the only lawyer I know who's into this sort of thing) can be an electronic copy - it may not need to be from the same person you buy from, if you catch my drift...

Jeff