Best Metal Nebula Console

09jlardinois

-18dBFS Freak
Aug 31, 2012
Wisconsin
What would you guys say is the best Nebula console for mixing metal?

I have a Toft (new Trident 80B/C), SSL4K (E/G), SSL9K, RND8088, RND Portico, Quad Eight (333), Helios, Seimens, Bogen, Neve 1084 Pres/EQ, API (classic), MCI.

Here's my thoughts - the trident consoles are rockin on any heavy guitar - they add a ton of separation. but nothing beats a 1084 on drums, the portico adds all around separation, and the SSL's as well, while the SSL's make kick drums and bass guitar insanely frightening. the bogen has a classic thickness about it, the seimens has a silky high end, but the API and quad eights (api was based on the quad eight / globes) has an impossible openness to it.

Although I could use any combination of these consoles I want, its more fun to use a single console and limited gear as it adds a sense of realism for the mixer. Purely for fun - I'm sure mixing and matching would provide better results.

Now I must go. I have a mosquito bite on my back that requires immediate and continuous violent itching.

If I had such awesome thingy in my arsenal I wouldn't give a f**k if they are from different piece. If that sound better for each element I would say go for that.

Do what ever you want;)
Separation, wideness and how the whole mix gel together don't come from the gear but from the mixer. Some console help more than other (same with outboard gear or plugin), but at the end it's the mixer behind, not the gear...

Btw, quick note but for the 9K sound, DAW sound really close (except for the soft top end and really solid center) so don't worry about nebula for this one:D

Mikaël-ange;10405711 said:
but at the end it's the mixer behind, not the gear...

i'll definitely agree to that. but i was using UAD for so long and hit a wall. i was using it all right, but i was at the point that my mixes would only sound as good as the gear. Nebula opened the world to real mixing, as the gear responded realistically.

im getting better at mixing now, and just feel id like that extra little edge. i dont often frequent forums, so im not sure what the rules are, but here is my latest mix (link): http://soundcloud.com/johnlardinois/best-friends-girl-the-cars

the original album had notoriously quiet vocals in my opinion, so as an obscure reference and shout out to the original engineering, i lowered the vocals 2 decibels quieter than i would have preferred it;)

i guess im just wondering what the staple console for metal is that will give me an extra edge - pun intended.

I use the CLC. Watch out when stacking it over tracks too many times though, as it will bleed off your highs and give your mix a distinct mid focus.

Here are some examples.

This one was done with 3 stages of CLC (Channel, Bus, Master Bus):

This one was done with only one stage of CLC (Master Bus), the rest was Slate's VCC:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-ZRq7hvdA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

FWIW I believe that Slate's VCC is a much more accurate recreation of what consoles do than the Nebula programs. That being said, the Nebula programs can do some very cool unintended things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have as many Nebula consoles as you do, 09jlardinois, but the CLC, MCI, and the API board by Henry Olonga (http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product_cat=nebula-presets) have all worked great for anything heavier that I've worked with.

Try Nebula with timed kernals around 50ms instead of the freqd algorithm too. You have to edit the XML file first, but it brings much better transient response and overall everything just sounds better within Nebula that way, at the expense of CPU power. This link explains the process pretty well... http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/blog/nebula-vst-plug-in-tips-switching-to-timed-kernels

As far as which to use exclusively on a mix, I can't say. One of the beauties of working with audio in this age is the flexibility of processing available and the opportunity of individuality available in your own mixing style (although too many people look to emulate everyone else these days). Try out anything your heart desires and you'll find out what works for you and what doesn't. Have fun

Try Nebula with timed kernals around 50ms instead of the freqd algorithm too. You have to edit the XML file first, but it brings much better transient response and overall everything just sounds better within Nebula that way, at the expense of CPU power. This link explains the process pretty well... http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/blog/nebula-vst-plug-in-tips-switching-to-timed-kernels
Very interesting.
Did this improve a lot the transient response ?
I think I'll do the change for the tracks I process offline.
You have to change every program one by one, right ?

A lot? No not a LOT, but noticably to my ears. YMMV. I duplicated my Nebula dll and xml file (then modified my xml and master page settings) to create a "High Quality" version.

Yup, gotta change each one as it comes up. Basically, freqd follows an FFT algorithm just like every other plugin in the world. Timed does something different, not sure what, but it is more CPU intensive and in my opinion, just sounds better. I've heard bringing down the DSP buffer to a lower level does something to the audio too, but I have yet to try that out.

Thanks a lot, I'll try the mod ASAP.
Pretty cool for processing my tracks offline using line input.
I think I'll stick with the freqd version for the masterbus instance, and switch it to timed before exporting my mix (or bounce a clean mix and apply the timed version offline).

Oh, back on-topic, I love CLC for most of my stuff (the master bus instance is fucking insane to glue and soften the highs), and I also use the VBC for some other stuffs (more rock oriented projects, and often on guitars and vocals).

I tried the Nebula mod today, and it's great !
I always had the impression that Nebula consoles shaved/rounded a bit the transients, but I thought it was OK and was coming from the console behaviour itself.
But now with the mod, you have the coloration AND and a better, more accurate transient response... the downside being a huge load on the CPU, but it's OK with my workflow as I usually print a lot of things.
I tried it with tape programs and Kalthalen Cabs as well, it's all great.
Thanks a lot botus99 :worship: