Best of 2006

Well... hard to pick out a single record. But I think that, as a progressive album, Sieges Even's "Navigating By The Stars" really outstands this year. :)

|ng.

okay...shortly:

wetton/downes: 'icon II'
"the die is cast" is awesome!

slamer: 'nowhere land'
guitar god together with my personal hero terry brock (ex-strangeways)

angra: 'aurora consurgeons'
"ego painted grey" - killer

slayer: 'christ illusion'
no questions.

the tangent: 'a place in the queue'
without Roine Stolt more canterbury, less retro-prog. my tipp: 'lost in london' - nice lyrics.
and very far out: 'kartoffelsalat im unterseeboot' (bonus-cd)

porcupine tree: 'arriving somewhere ...' (live dvd)
for me the perfect live-dvd... (on 2nd position ... you know...)

and then some: the new from muse, amplifier ... that's it for now.

:headbang:

'where did I go wrong I lost a friend somewhere along through the bitterness'

I believe this song is about the plight between a daughter and father.
can you guess the artist?

hint: 'how does something wonderful get tossed aside or thrown away like something that is broken or frayED.

'o'again state (how bout that son bowl... won it in the last twentytwo seconds!)

My list
1. Falconer - Northwind
best melodic powermetal ever. Reunited with the old singer
2. Slayer - Christ Illusion
Everyone at the icelandic metal forum seem to be bored of Slayer, I think they're fresh all the time!
3.Devin Townsend- Synchestra
Mediation metal, emotion and weirdness
4.My Dying Bride - A line of deathless kings
Something doomy,gloomy and cool
5.Dragonforce - Inhuman rampage
These guys are ridicilous, yet ridicilously funny and talented
6.Katatonia - the great cold distance
melodic darkness metal with soothing vocals
7.Strapping young lad - The new black
A varied album from the straps. Enjoyable. Less sledgehammer here
8.Lamb of God - Sacrament
Enough of sledgehammer here
9.In Flames - Come Clarity
IF combine melody and brutality like never before
0.Korpiklaani - Tales along this road
Finnish folky and thrashy stuff. Songs of beer and wilderness.

Other stuff I liked:
Mastodon - Blood mountain
Borknagar - Origin
Sonata Arctica - for the sake of revenge (live)
Enslaved, Amorphis and Tool sound good, but I haven't heard their entire albums.
Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell - Trail of broken seas

I think the new Slayer is full of rehashed riffs.... nothing more. And backed up by a STRONG and GENIUS marketing plan... which includes the front cover of the album and the return of Lombardo.

Hi,

My vote for "best record of 2006" will definitely go to Milliontown from Frost : I still play that record very regularly and it seems that I can not get tired of it...

Paul

Well, thank you very much. Just downloaded the album and I can't stop spinning "Hyperventilation", wonderful instrumental masterpiece. Thank you very much, now I know an album I'll buy shortly. :)

|ng.

1. Best CD
#1: Sylvan: Posthumous Silence (Took me a while to get into, but it finally clicked. Great CD.)
#2: Spock's Beard: Spock's Beard
#3: The Third Ending: The Third Ending (Their debut, a self made album from a young Australian band. Recently signed with progrockrecords. Great, melodic prog rock.)

2. Best DVD
#1: Styx: One With Everything (This is how a collaboration with an orchestra and a choir should work. I - being a long time Styx fan - had tears in my eyes when first watching it.)
#2: The Flower Kings: Instant Delivery
#3: Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere

3. Best live concert
#1: pRockfest (The Flower Kings, Riverside, Abarax), 10.11.2006
#2: Eclipsed-Festival (The Tangent, Sylvan, Overhead), 27.5.2006
#3: Deadsoul Tribe + Sieges Even, 11.1.2006

4. Biggest surprise
The Third Ending

5. Biggest disappointment
Seems like the live prog scene is slowly dying here in Germany. Even on weekends, quite well-known prog acts (such as Pallas, The Flower Kings, Echolyn, Alias Eye) don't draw well-sized crowds. 2 ambitious young promoters will have to give up because of that. Which is a shame.

6. Remarks
Despite of the bad live situation, I have the impression that there's a band that might make it quite big: Riverside. Similar to Porcupine Tree, they draw more and more people. Impressive.

#1: Sylvan: Posthumous Silence <--- Totally agree, nice CD, quite melodic on the whole.

#3: The Third Ending: The Third Ending <--- I've taken good note :)

2. Best DVD
#1: Styx: One With Everything <--- Uhmmm... For some reason I haven't seen it available in stores, should check again. I love Tommy Shaw and I loved their last DVD. I'll surely miss DeYoung and his wonderful vocals, even when I appreciate Laurence Gowan as a great replacement. They don't play Grand Illusion, do they? I love that song.

Seems like the live prog scene is slowly dying here in Germany. Even on weekends, quite well-known prog acts (such as Pallas, The Flower Kings, Echolyn, Alias Eye) don't draw well-sized crowds. 2 ambitious young promoters will have to give up because of that. Which is a shame.

Well, about this, feel good about some prog scene going on, man. In Spain the prog scene is non existant, nor those bands come here to play. I really, really dug Alias Eye's last album and I would love to see them live. You're lucky!!!

... and that's the thing I wanted to say. :)

|ng.

No, they don't play "Grand Illusion". Actually, the setlist includes some songs they've never played before live.
What makes the DVD so special is what role the orchestra and choir play. They are between 13 and 19 years old and they are having such a great time. Smiling, cheering, clapping for the whole concert. At one point, there are 179 people on stage. Very impressive.

About the prog scene: yeah, I guess I'm complaining on a high level. ;) But I have the feeling that if the scene is dying here - where we have several nice venues quite close together so that bands don't have to travel far between shows and people have the opportunity to see a band and not have to travel too far -, it might be difficult for the smaller bands to put together a tour.
Would be interesting to hear Enchant's opinion, as they are what I call a "smaller band". ;)

My Best Of 2006 would be this
Best albums
n°1: A.C.T. – Silence
n°2: Muse – Black Holes And Revelations
n°3: Andromeda – Chimera

best songs
n°1 : Muse – « Knights Of Cydonia »
n°2 : A.C.T. – « Joanna »
n°3 : Frost – « Milliontown »

Best DVD's
Rush ReplayX3
Porcupine Tree - Arriving somewhere

New up and coming bands
The Third Ending
Jetliner

biggest hopes for 2007
a new Enchant album (enough said)

My Best Of 2006 would be this
Best albums
n°1: A.C.T. – Silence
n°2: Muse – Black Holes And Revelations
n°3: Andromeda – Chimera

best songs
n°1 : Muse – « Knights Of Cydonia »
n°2 : A.C.T. – « Joanna »
n°3 : Frost – « Milliontown »

Best DVD's
Rush ReplayX3
Porcupine Tree - Arriving somewhere

New up and coming bands
The Third Ending
Jetliner

biggest hopes for 2007
a new Enchant album (enough said)
a new Xen album (Paul you hear me man ? Time to rock the house a bit here)

best cds
azam ali - elysium for the brave
toto - falling in between
emilie autumn - opheliac
the who - endless wire

best DVD
kamelot - one cold winter's night (i'm so predictable :lol:)

best live concert
kamelot in oslo (who woulda thunk it? :p )

hopes for 2007:
releases with the talented young men from enchant!