Best PowerMetal Band, album & song

The G man

Aug 6, 2003
Okay Guy's n' Gal's
So what do you consider to be the best Power Metal Band album and song?, they needn't all be the same band.

Mine is -
Best Band GAMMA RAY
Best Song Through the Black Hole by Gamma Ray
Best Album Better than Raw by Helloween

BAND: Blind Guardian
SONG: "Dargor.." by Rhapsody, "Mirror Mirror" by Guardian, or "Valley of the Damned" by Dragonforce..argh! or Legacy of Kings by Hammerfall. SO MANY too choose from... oh yeah, and "A Quest for the Crown" by Falconer. Amazing song :tickled:
Album: Nightfall in middle earth by Guardian

I can't even begin to answer this truthfully, 'coz there are so many that fit in each category. But for a complete stab in the dark:

Band: Angel Dust
Song: Gamma Ray -- Valley of the kings
Album: Helloween -- Better than raw

But any of those could easily be exchanged with 10 others and still be completely valid.

hmmm...
Band:Iced Earth
Song:Blind Guardian - Time Stands Still
Album:Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

As said before i could interchange these with so many other choices... oh yeah, i use the term power metal rather loosely...

Walls of Jericho was a Thrash album surely?? In fact one of the best ever Thrash albums.

and since when were Helloween Power Metal? They started as one of the greatest Frash (copyright Xavier Russell) bands and then just mellowed into a damn good heavy metal band.

Band: Blind Guardian
Song: Lost In The Twilight Hall
Album: Imaginations From The Other Side

I agree with Tet...there are many others that I could put down....but these choices always do it for me! :D

Black Lagoon said:
Walls of Jericho was a Thrash album surely?? In fact one of the best ever Thrash albums.

and since when were Helloween Power Metal? They started as one of the greatest Frash (copyright Xavier Russell) bands and then just mellowed into a damn good heavy metal band.

Speed Metal = Yes.
Frash = No never.

Helloween have always been Power Metal. The only time they've diversed away from the genre was on Pink Bubbles and Chameleon.

Get out of here! The first two Helloween albums are and will always be thrash classics. Just ask Xavier Russell who championed there cause from the start.
In fact I still remember the Walls of Jericho review which stated it was the best Frash album ever and if I remember rightly even got 6K which I only ever saw Flotsam and Jetsams Doomsday for the Deciever get as well.

Helloween were always lumped in with the Thrash bands as well, hence the tours with Kreator, Overkill etc etc.

And as for Power metal, they were around and kicking before the awful term was even thought of.

Fuckin great band though! :headbang:

helloween are the granddaddys of power metal, stop being technical, if ive ever heard a power metal band its helloween, power metal itslef is quite a diverse genre you know, would you say that freedom call and iced earth were similar, no, you wouldnt but most people qualify them both as power metal...

I honestly wouldn't call Iced Earth Power Metal,but until they think of something better it will have to do...

Band : Iced Earth
Song : ManOwaR - Battle Hymn
Album : Hard choice
- ManOwaR - Kings Of Metal - Battle Hymns
- Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno - Night Of The Stormrider
- Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side

Yeah I wouldn't call Manowar or Iced Earth Power metal either.

There both damn good Heavy Metal bands. I mean Manowar sang Heavy Metal Daze not Power Metal Daze.

Black 2throwing another spanner in the works" Lagoon.

Since I said I couldn't really choose, I thought I'd be greedy and take a second shot at it :)

Band: Blind Guardian
Song: Primal Fear -- Angel in black
Album: Grave Digger -- The grave digger

Just as valid as my previous selection...

Well, from the generally accepted definition of "power metal", here are my favourites:

Band: Helloween
Album: Helloween - The Time Of The Oath / The Dark Ride (I still can't quite decide which one I prefer)
Song: Iced Earth - A Question Of Heaven (although I don't really consider them a power metal band, everyone else does and besides, this song kicks ass)