Best Quality/Price Ratio for two channel interface?

slayer666metalica

Kvlt M3t4l 4 Lyfe
Nov 20, 2009
Hello all, as i have been reading over the course of my membership, i've come to the realization that the eight input interface i currently have right now is superfluous for my needs,

being a guitar player, i have no use for a presonus fp10 with 8 inputs.

I'm thinking i could use that gap in $$$ to put toward something else [more mics, guitar stuff, etc...] or simply just a better interface with 2 inputs; because that's the most i ever use at the moment.

SOO, in short i was curious what you guys would say is the best quality 2 channel firewire interface I could get my hands on that would be of the same price or less for the fp10?

I did take a gander and saw one made by MOTU, it's about 549$ on musicians friend... but i'm almost wondering if that is too much?

I'd love to hear any suggestions ya'all got! and please provide links/model #'s also!

Thanks a bunch!

Wow, that apogee looks fantastic... one thing i am failing to understand though, it looks like it's only compatible with mac.. i read a review that said it only has no pc drivers?

If anybody has anything else keep it comin'!

Hello all, as i have been reading over the course of my membership, i've come to the realization that the eight input interface i currently have right now is superfluous for my needs,

being a guitar player, i have no use for a presonus fp10 with 8 inputs.

I'm thinking i could use that gap in $$$ to put toward something else [more mics, guitar stuff, etc...] or simply just a better interface with 2 inputs; because that's the most i ever use at the moment.

SOO, in short i was curious what you guys would say is the best quality 2 channel firewire interface I could get my hands on that would be of the same price or less for the fp10?

I did take a gander and saw one made by MOTU, it's about 549$ on musicians friend... but i'm almost wondering if that is too much?

I'd love to hear any suggestions ya'all got! and please provide links/model #'s also!

Thanks a bunch!

The FP10/Firepod has/had a street price of only 400 bones last time I saw a new one for sale, but I don't even think they make them anymore.

If you are looking to sell it and buy a new interface, then the money you'd have would be far less than what the unit cost new...As such, I'd look at the M Audio Profire 610, personally. I moved from 2 FP10's (well, one was a Firepod, technically, lol) to 1 Profire 2626 and I think it's great and a bit better all around. Definitely more options. The 610 is limited, though.

Unless you have a decent stash of money to augment the cash you'd get for selling the fp10, I don't know if you'd necessarily get anything that is significantly better for what the fp10 may yield..

i got a 610 not too long ago, definately a great buy IMO. I can DI guitars and bass and for drums i run my DIY e drum kit through the midi in. This works out great seeing as how im in a decently small room and cant blast and amps or play acoustic drums

Unless you have a decent stash of money to augment the cash you'd get for selling the fp10, I don't know if you'd necessarily get anything that is significantly better for what the fp10 may yield..

nice use of the english language nate!

profire 610 is an awesome idea! I also upgraded from a firepod to a profire 2626, and i have been very pleased with it so far.

did I mention that my local gear dealer likes his steinberg interface better than his ensemble... this guy knows his shit, and is quite knowledgeable when it comes to all things related to audio engineering.

right now he is trying to sell me on a summing mixer.

echo audiofire2 ..I was previously an ensemble owner. Very similar quality on sounds. check it. Also works on windows but needs a firewire port.