best support band

hogghead

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2004
earth
www.jesus-fix.co.uk
ok lads and lasses heres one for you it sort of started in the desert disk therad the best band as a support act the total suprise you didnt expect.i have a few but i will start with danzig supporting the great metallica at the hammersmith odeon at the time i think it was the maser of puppets tour 1988. any way danzig were fantastic it was out of this world :OMG: i have a few more but i wont bore you with them just yet :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

they were great at that show-a real surprise.sorry hoggy,but it was and justice for all tour.they played with anthrax on the master tour at the odeon-you were there too remember!
other great support band for me was seeing alice in chains support megadeth.they totally ruled that night.

I'm not a Danzig fan, but somewhere around 93-94, I think, I went to see Sacred Reich and Genitorturers with Danzig being the opening band. Even though I still don't like his work, Glenn and his band did their material flawlessly, so I can say that they didn't disappoint their fans that came to see them.
1990-Giant opened for Heart-nothing fancy, just great loud guitars(except for the ballad)
Tangier-89 -opened for White Lion/Cinderella-suprised me big time how well they played
90-Mr.Big-opened for Rush-I knew they had musical talent, but worried they would be cheesy, but they knew they had to put up, since they were on tour with one of the best bands of all time.
92-Flotsam and Jetsam-opened for mercyful Fate-they rocked, but also got the Mercyful fans rabid as well!

Suicidal Tendencies Opening for Alice in Chains at the Hordern Pavillion (sydney) was unreal. We have a good one coming up in 2 weeks here. Static X opening for Fear Factory and Korn :)

Cool thread this one!! These are some of the more memorable opening acts I've seen....

Metallica opening for Ozzy (Master Of Puppets tour)

Dirty Looks opening for LA Guns (the first time I saw Dirty looks, they blew me away!!)

Anthrax opening for Ozzy

Lita Ford opening for Nugent

The Donnas opening for The Groovie Ghoulies (Teenage R-N-R Machine tour, knew nothing about them until that night and have been a huge fan every since!)

Circus Of Power opening for Faith No More

We have crap support acts when bands tour Australia. They generally get some crappy local band nobody cares about (the rule here is that there has to be an Australian band as support) and for some reason they never choose good ones. However there were a few exceptions:

Heaven supported Judas Priest in 2001. I don't know if you remember them but Heaven were an AC/DC-ish hard rock band from Australia in the early-mid '80s who had a bit of success and this was their first gig since the '80s! The singer said it was the first Melbourne show since they supported Iron Maiden in 1985 I think it was?

Also Vanishing Point, awesome prog & AOR influenced melodic metal band from Melbourne were support for Edguy on their 2002 tour here which rocked :headbang: They always put on a great show! VP have gotten a bit known in Europe now coz they've played Wacken twice and toured Europe with Gamma Ray & Sonata Arctica.

That's about all I can think of. Every other support band for an international tour has been crap.

sixxswine said:
Dec. 8th 1986, Portland, OR
Memorial Coliseum, Cinderella opened for David Lee Roth
on the Eat 'Em & Smile Tour & nearly stole the show.
Great show!

I saw that tour also, that was a great show! Both bands were great but the coolest part of that show was seeing Vai and Billy Sheehan just totally ripping the place apart. They were amazing!

lol I cant throw a date on this Just cause I cant remember one lol ..... it was like 2 or 3 years ago Slayer opening for Pantera all I can say is SLAYER they fukin ruled pantera they should have been the headliners!!!!

JonnyD said:
lol I cant throw a date on this Just cause I cant remember one lol ..... it was like 2 or 3 years ago Slayer opening for Pantera all I can say is SLAYER they fukin ruled pantera they should have been the headliners!!!!

i cant believe that slayer supported pantera!!!
i remember reading years ago about the clash of the titans tour in the u.s,where megadeth ,anthrax and slayer all took turns to headline,but someone pointed out that slayer had more headline slots than the other two bands.even mustaine with his ego wasnt bothered about it at all.
when he was asked about it,tom araya simply said-"well,would you want to follow us?"and its true,they are fucking awsome live.i saw them 0on the british leg of the tour with megadeth,testament and suicidal tendancies.i loved testament to death then,and megadeth had just released rust in peace,my fave album of thiers,but slayer were a class above them all.no one should follow them.live they rule absolutely. :worship: :worship: :headbang:

IcedMadness said:
Did any one see the "Gimme Ed" tour with Maiden? Dio and Motorhead opened for Maiden. Now that's an opener worth seeing.

That line up almost got me to plop down the cash for a ticket! I don't go to big concerts anymore (I'm an old boring fart these days) but that one was very tempting.... until I saw how much tickets cost. It's not a matter of the money as much as the principle of it all, because no one.....i repeat... NO ONE .... is worth $50 or more to see live in my opinion. I'm sure it was a killer show though, I've seen Maiden and Dio but not Motorhead, it would have been cool.

Heaven supported Judas Priest in 2001. I don't know if you remember them but Heaven were an AC/DC-ish hard rock band from Australia in the early-mid '80s who had a bit of success and this was their first gig since the '80s! The singer said it was the first Melbourne show since they supported Iron Maiden in 1985 I think it was?

Heaven was a cool band. They could have done a bit better in the songwriting, but the singer had a nice voice and the musicians were tight. I loved their version of "Knocking on Heavens Door."

Bryant

I have been to sooo many shows, it is hard to pick ONE, but if I had to, it would be Wrathchild America opening for Pantera. Pantera kicked my ass and weren't half as good as WA. Those boys were on !!!

Bryant

I don't know if you can consider any band at an event like Prog-power to have a "supporting band" but at Prog Power II, the opening band, Balance of Power absolutely smoked and at Prog Power four, the opening band on the second night, Pagans Mind spontaneously combusted.

One final note: There is no metal scene in Columbus Georgia to speak of, but we have/had (don't know if they are still together) a local hard rock band called Forced Entry that does about 50/50 orignals/covers and they smoke. There was also an Atlanta band that had one minor hit (can't recall their name) with a late 60's/early 70's vibe that also did about 50/50 cover/original that ripped. I normally hate cover bands as you can pay 5 bucks at a bar and see that, but these two bands took it to a different level. I wish I could think of the name of theAtlanta band I was talking about because they have a national release or two. : /

Bryant

Bryant said:
I have been to sooo many shows, it is hard to pick ONE, but if I had to, it would be Wrathchild America opening for Pantera. Pantera kicked my ass and weren't half as good as WA. Those boys were on !!!

Bryant

The only time I saw Wrathchild open for some one was for Suicidal Tendencies and they smoked 'em. ST was good but Wratchchild was way better. All the other times I've seen Wrathchild has been at local bars with some 16 year old local guys openening up for them. :)

Entombed and Slayer opening for Maiden at Metal 2000, and Halford opening for Maiden five months later! :D

white zombie early nineties to the death the gig was superb
coal chamber static x supporting type o neg 1999 i think dont rember much about coal chamber had a stand in bassiest with great jugs me and pat spent most of the time looking at them she was a good bass player too
paradise lost supporting sepultura 1996 i think again fuckin superb what more could you want

hogghead said:
coal chamber static x supporting type o neg 1999 i think dont rember much about coal chamber had a stand in bassiest with great jugs me and pat spent most of the time looking at them she was a good bass player too
That would've been 2000 cos I remember the fuss the magazines made over the stand-in and her pretty face :loco: only stand-in I've known to get her own poster!

Ayeka said:
That would've been 2000 cos I remember the fuss the magazines made over the stand-in and her pretty face :loco: only stand-in I've known to get her own poster!

thats hogghead all over though ayeka,no good with names and dates but has an encyclopedic memory for devils dumplings.the man remembers his years in cup sizes!! :headbang: :worship: :D