Beyond The Labyrinth: melodic metal.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Beyond The Labyrinth is a Belgian band which I checked once on their demo days and then again upon Carnut advice (thanks buddy).

Their debut ‘Signs’ (self released, no signed yet) falls in the realm of progressive power which seems to be the flavor of the day considering PPVII approach, and this would have been a nice band to discover at that festival.

The band relies a lot on keyboards but not in the Sonata Arctica/Rhapsody/Skylark way neither in the more classic use like in Yes, ELP, Dream Theater or Shadow Gallery. So basically this could be described as a power band with progressive orientation. Add very well done clean melodic vocals (no high pitch or operatic stuff here), as solid rhythm base and good guitars and there you are.

The music is very melodic the energy comes not from aggression but from inner strength, the opener ‘Media Vision’ and my favorite ‘In Flanders Fields’ carry you to a trip of peaceful dreamworld. After that all songs are based on the same mid-tempo melodic way, don’t expect blasting beats or furious drumming, nor lightning fast speed riffs. The goal of the band is clear mellowness and melody, nor dragons or swords here either just metal done with a very classic approach and a smooth sense of enjoyment.

P.S. The debut is considered from 2005 but since has no distribution it may fall into 2006 releases maybe.

I really can't describe it any better !! I'm glad finally some good Belgian bands are making far above average CD's !! Another Belgian band in the same vein is Mindgames, need to check out their new CD, it's said to be very good, also classic melodical metal...
The first batch of Beyond the Labyrinth CD's was sold out and new are printed. The band also has a distribution contract with Rock Inc, wich will get their stuff distributed in Europe at least in a decent matter. It's crazy they can't find an interested label while other shit-bands can....
You can check out some samples on their website:
http://www.beyond-the-labyrinth.com/signs.htm