beyond twilight possibly rips off niacin?

Kenso

Juke Box Hero
Sep 18, 2006
zzz
i threw this video together real fast

beyond twilight are one of my favorite bands! but i wonder if this excerpt was ripped off or not. maybe its a coincidence? or maybe its an excerpt from something really old rearranged by both, maybe it was accident!

niacin are an old school-ish jazz fusion trio, billy sheehan and dennis chambers play in the group, forgot the keyboardist's name

what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be inclined to say its unintentional, but it could also be an homage...When I saw the title of this thread, I honestly thought you were talking about niacin as in the brand of medicine, and I was very confused as to how that would even be possible. :lol: Beyond Twilight pain relief tablets???

Hate to say it (as I love the Beyond Twilight album) but you might be on to something. Could always be unintentional (enjoying a riff but having no idea where it came from), but interesting nonetheless.

Knowing Finn Zierler very well (we go back many many years) I am almost 100% sure it's either coincidental OR it's an old classic piece that both bands used. I can almost guarentee you that Finn doesn't have a clue about who Niacin is. Finn's CD collection consists of classical music, jazz music, some Dream Theater, Symphony X, Meshuggah and Faith No More / Mr.Bungle, and that's more or less it (he might have some old Savatage in there as well actually). I can't see him listening to Niacin at all - it just wouldn't be a band the he had heard of. Chances are bigger that it's a classical piece.

In my humble opinion it is very unintentional, yes they do sound similar but not to the point of rip-off

Knowing Finn Zierler very well (we go back many many years) I am almost 100% sure it's either coincidental OR it's an old classic piece that both bands used. I can almost guarentee you that Finn doesn't have a clue about who Niacin is. Finn's CD collection consists of classical music, jazz music, some Dream Theater, Symphony X, Meshuggah and Faith No More / Mr.Bungle, and that's more or less it (he might have some old Savatage in there as well actually). I can't see him listening to Niacin at all - it just wouldn't be a band the he had heard of. Chances are bigger that it's a classical piece.

i felt that it was likely this, just from how awesome beyond twilights music is, they wouldnt need to rip anyone off. BUT just to throw it out there, its within the realm of possibility of him hearing of niacin, considering that fusion and jazz are very closely linked, dennis chambers is pretty known on the jazz side of the world as far as i know.

It's from Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, which I believe is now public domain.

yep you are right, check out about 9 mins in - howd you find it?

as a lasting statement we can say case closed, im glad it turned out this way, i love beyond twilight and for the love of art and the making is probably my favorite metal cd (although i feel it completely transcends the term metal anyway). i feel bad for the semi accusation, although i knew that it was very likely that it was a piece both bands had used. it was just shuffling through my ipod listening to shit ive wanted to check out and i just hear that niacin tune and im like whoa! i wonder what other (if any) excerpts of the album are from classical pieces.

thanks for the research cherion!

p.s. i edited the video, hopefully it shows up the edited title

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the bass line was very familiar to me, and the similarity in keyboards. Felt like I'd heard it before but just couldn't place it, so I went about searching. I found a listing of the Niacin album and it had the songwriters and listed Stravinsky for that song. I should have known, I've heard that piece many times.

Well the bass line was very familiar to me, and the similarity in keyboards. Felt like I'd heard it before but just couldn't place it, so I went about searching. I found a listing of the Niacin album and it had the songwriters and listed Stravinsky for that song. I should have known, I've heard that piece many times.

i see, what a coincidence though cause im taking music appreciation in college , and we have these things called listening tests where the teacher plays a track from a list she gave you and you have to list the composer and track title. point being was all of this goes down and then i go into class to see stravinsky - rite of spring on my next test. sadly though that cool part isnt in the test, since the piece is so long she just gave us a 2-3 min section of it.