BIFF BYFORD Says Timeless Songs Are Key To SAXON's Success

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
SAXON frontman Biff Byford was recently interviewed by Meltdown of Detroit's WRIF radio station. You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below.

Asked what has been the key to SAXON's success, Biff said: "I think just keep releasing great albums, really — trying to make the music that you write as good as you can possibly write it. I think the last 10 albums have been pretty cool, actually. So I think hard work has played a big part in it, and the chemistry of the band is great. We're a great live band, which helps. So the standard of playing is great. And I just think songs are one of the keys to success. The songs we wrote in the '80s — like all the bands that are still around from that day — those songs are still important. Those songs like 'Wheels Of Steel' and 'Denim And Leather', 'Princess Of The Night', [MOTÖRHEAD's] 'Ace Of Spades', 'Overkill'… All songs from those days… 'Killers', 'Run To The Hills' from [IRON] MAIDEN. First [MAIDEN] album; 'Killers', a great album; 'The Number Of The Beast', a fantastic album. So all those bands from that era, they're still here today because of that, really. And because we've never stopped releasing albums in between. That's the key, I think."

SAXON's latest album, "Thunderbolt", was released on February 2 via Militia Guard (Silver Lining Music). The follow-up to 2015's "Battering Ram" was once again helmed by producer Andy Sneap, who has previously worked with JUDAS PRIEST, MEGADETH, ACCEPT and TESTAMENT, among others. The disc features original artwork by longtime SAXON collaborator Paul Raymond Gregory.

SAXON is supporting JUDAS PRIEST on the North American leg of the "Firepower" tour, which kicked off on March 13 in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania and will wrap on May 1 in San Antonio, Texas.

Interview (audio):

Continue reading...