Biggest disappointment so far...

MetalNESS

Jun 3, 2005
I'm debating between the new Sonata Arctica and the new Freedom Call. What about you?

the only song i heard from sonata arctica was wolf and raven. i never heard of the other band. sorry :loco:

they sound good but i dont know their best songs. eagle fly free is good though. i just dont like dragonforce.

That's because Dragonforce is ass. They disguise their inability to play by playing fast (it covers up fuckups!) and jumping on trampolines.

Check out:
Falconer
HammerFall
Gamma Ray
Edguy
Firewind
Kamelot
Stratovarius
Royal Hunt
Iced Earth
to name a few...

and I would highly reccommend these progressive bands:
Vision Divine
Dream Theater (this one is a must, IMO)
Labyrinth
Division
Communic
Zero Hour
Redemption
Freak Kitchen
Vanden Plas
Pyramaze

I really like the new Sonata Arctica! It's very different of course, not even power metal really. I guess it would have been nice if there were more solos. It's kind of weird that a band that typically has a great solo section in just about every one of their songs suddenly does a whole album with.. I think at least half the songs don't even have solos!

Whoever recommended Labyrinth let me add a huge +1 to that. Return to Heaven Denied is one of my favorite albums! Get it ASAP! Dragonland is another great pm band, I love Starfall.

I really like the new Sonata Arctica! It's very different of course, not even power metal really. I guess it would have been nice if there were more solos. It's kind of weird that a band that typically has a great solo section in just about every one of their songs suddenly does a whole album with.. I think at least half the songs don't even have solos!

Whoever recommended Labyrinth let me add a huge +1 to that. Return to Heaven Denied is one of my favorite albums! Get it ASAP! Dragonland is another great pm band, I love Starfall.

I still like the new Sonata, it's just a step down. They are gradually getting worse with each album.

ANd yeah, Labyrinth are good, but make sure you stick to their older stuff. Their newer stuff is pretty bad.

And Starfall? No way man, if you're going to get some Dragonland get their first two or their newest one Astronomy. Stay away from Starfall.

Dragonland is okay, but nothing to write home about, so to speak. Pretty standard power metal. The musicianship is better than the vocalist, IMO.

As for the new Sonata, I've only heard Paid In Full, but I liked it.

Anybody heard the new Symphony X yet? Holy shit does it rule. It is heavier than anything they've done. Russell Allen's vocals are more aggressive, but he can still sing those ballads, "Paradise Lost."