Billy Powell dead at 56

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Syknerds keyboard player Billy Powell died in his home today January 28. Powell called 911 and when paramedics arrived they found him unresponsive. Apparently a heart attack was the cause. American Southern rock and blues have lost a wonderful and talented musician. Guitarist Garry Rossington is the only surviving member of the original band. RIP--Mr. Powell.

Syknerds keyboard player Billy Powell died in his home today January 28. Powell called 911 and when paramedics arrived they found him unresponsive. Apparently a heart attack was the cause. American Southern rock and blues have lost a wonderful and talented musician. Guitarist Garry Rossington is the only surviving member of the original band. RIP--Mr. Powell.

*bob burns is still alive. he was a drummer for them in the 70's.
*artimus pyle is still alive. he was the drummer when the plane crashed and survived. he was with them in the early 90's
*ed king is still alive. he was a guitar player for most of the 70's and the early 90's
*ricky medlocke is still alive. he was a drummer very early on for skynyrd and appears on the pre first album demo's called "muscle shoals sessions" as a drummer and sings lead vocals on a few tunes. he is a current guitar player in lynyrd skynyrd

on top of that i believe billy powell wasn't an original member but was added after the band was formed

All accurate information,man. Billy Powell was originally a roadie for the band. Until one day, he sat down at the piano and started to play. Ronnie hired him on the spot. And the rest, as they say, is history. The article that I read only mentioned Garry Rossington as the "only surviving member of the band." I'm listening to the complete Muscle Shoals recordings as I write this. I'm almost certain the Rickey Medlocke went on to form "Blackfoot."

All accurate information,man. Billy Powell was originally a roadie for the band. Until one day, he sat down at the piano and started to play. Ronnie hired him on the spot. And the rest, as they say, is history. The article that I read only mentioned Garry Rossington as the "only surviving member of the band." I'm listening to the complete Muscle Shoals recordings as I write this. I'm almost certain the Rickey Medlocke went on to form "Blackfoot."

yes its the same medlocke who formed blackfoot. he wanted to play guitar and sing lead vocals and he was only going to get to do a few lead vocals in skynyrd. bob burns returned to play drums after ricky left. also greg walker plays most of the bass on that muscle shoals album and he left with ricky to form blackfoot