Binaural impulses?

I thought binaural recordings are like sound moving around a static placed stereo microphone pair or vice versa, I dont understand how an IR could simulate either, I could be misinformed. Ive had a freeware VST in the past where it would let you move a mono track around a simulated room.

Maybe IRs are like modulated with space or morph from one to another IR... dunno, but that's only thing that cross my mind.

I thought binaural recordings are like sound moving around a static placed stereo microphone pair or vice versa, I dont understand how an IR could simulate either, I could be misinformed. Ive had a freeware VST in the past where it would let you move a mono track around a simulated room.

Binaural recordings are made by putting two microphones in a dummy head(Some of these even have sinuses and real ear canals.).. even a non-moving sound will give the effect.

Maybe IRs are like modulated with space or morph from one to another IR... dunno, but that's only thing that cross my mind.

As i understand it you have to use 2 impulses for each ear, and one front and one back to be able to create movement.

Sony had a pack of HTRF impulses with their impulse loader in an old version of Sound Forge I had, but I don't know if it circulated. I remember it had just a ton of different positions of the source in relation to the mic (forward left, rear right, above, below, etc). I'll see if I can find them.

One thing I've been fucking around with just for sound is to take something and mix it in 5.1 (use a simple 5.1 reverb for the room sound you want) and render it out (ac3) and then play it back in foobar using the channel mixer and dolby headphone dsps. What it does is render a stereo track that simulates the surround effect (I think is doing something similar to the readings of HTRF or something). Of course it only translates to headphones (for proximity), but it's been a bit of ghetto work around when I want something to have a larger sound stage.

Plus a bonus, if you have 5.1 albums lying around - run them through the same plugins in foobar and convert out to 2ch 24bit waves - and you have some pretty convincing surround sounding stereo albums. I dropped all the Opeth 5.1s on my ipod using this method and it's a nice listen (not better, just bigger).

binaural works on your Head Related Transform Functions (HRTFs) - essentially the distance between your ears, and somewhat approximation of what your external ears do as filters.

You can make IRs easily if you've got access to a HATs, KEMAR etc. If not - get a matched pair of mics, put them around 17cms apart facing away from each other. Put a baffle in between (google Jecklin disk) and you may end up with something that's a pretty good effect.