Black Sabbath: Black Box or Seperately?

kjrain12

New Metal Member
Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys, new here. Just recently been getting into metal. I've always loved Megadeth and Metallica and recently I've been getting into Slayer, Mastadon, Anthrax, and Pantera. I've always heard great things about Sabbath and so I've been looking to pick up most of the Ozzy led stuff.

I've seen the Black Box for around $50. This includes all Ozzy albums. From what I can tell, most people don't care for the last two Ozzy Sabbath releases. So, I have three questions:

Q1: Should I get the Black Box or should I just get the first six Sabbath albums seperately?

Q2: Is there any advantage to getting them seperately?

Q3: Do you love Black Sabbath and if yes, what is your favorite Black Sabbath album? What is generally thought to be their greatest?

Thanks for your time guys!

Q1 50 bucks sounds like a good deal for all in one type of thing
Q3 Probably my favorite band, one of the first three albums(probably Paranoid)

I'd guess the first six all at once would be a good pick up at $50, (buying them used you may still get them cheaper but sealed is sexy sometimes) I have to recommend getting Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell also, though. They're fantastic albums without Ozzy.

Edit: Also, my favorite black sabbath albums are the S/T and Heaven and Hell.

I'd guess the first six all at once would be a good pick up at $50, (buying them used you may still get them cheaper but sealed is sexy sometimes) I have to recommend getting Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell also, though. They're fantastic albums without Ozzy.

Edit: Also, my favorite black sabbath albums are the S/T and Heaven and Hell.

Well the Black Box (the one that is $50) includes all eight Ozzy albums, a dvd, and some hardcover booklet about the albums. My main question was do you guys think I should just go for the whole box brand new for 50 bucks or try to get the first six (because I've heard those are the essential Sabbath albums) used for around probably 40 bucks.

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

Personally I do not like Black Sabbath. I wouldn't spend $50 on something I haven't even heard either. Why don't you listen to them online first?

If you are nervous, there are some alternatives to try. The "We Sold our Souls for Rock n' Roll" (basically an Ozzy years best of) or the "The Ozzy Years" 3cd Castle Communications compilations are both cheaper.

The box set (you mean the numbered one with the vinyl reproduction packaging?) is lovely though. I bought it for my dad's birthday some time ago and kept it for myself!

Q1: Should I get the Black Box or should I just get the first six Sabbath albums seperately?

Q2: Is there any advantage to getting them seperately?

Q3: Do you love Black Sabbath and if yes, what is your favorite Black Sabbath album? What is generally thought to be their greatest?

I do like nice packages so why not the Black Box? The one thing I might have against it if it doesnt come with the full booklets. Im a sucker for having everything especially in regards to lyrics and such. If the box doesnt have this I wouldnt buy it. Personal preference though.

Are you buying this without having heard Sabbath before? I would recomend listening to some stuff first.

And finally, I like their first s/t album the best.

I actually have the Black Box. Money well-spent. Get it. Also, it's worth looking into the later Sabbath stuff, the albums with Dio and Martin in particular. Iommi was the soul of the band, and they continued to produce worthwhile music long after Ozzy left.

The only worthwhile Martin-era album as a whole is Cross Purposes (inb4 dodens). The other ones are turgid, uninspired, trend-hopping bullshite.

I only have Headless Cross, but I think you're pretty wrong about that. It's not amazing, but it's definitely worth having. Everything I've heard from the other albums with him was also pretty good.

From each other Martin-era album, there's about 1-2 songs on each that I would rank as "pretty good" (When Death Calls actually is a pretty dandy song)... but other than that, the albums are just expensive coasters IMO.

Headless Cross and Tyr are trendy 80s, glam-esque metal... Eternal Idol is just inconsistent... and Forbidden is for the most part bland as fuck.

Nobody should ever listen to the above poster about anything, even if he's occasionally right be the sheer odds of being 100% wrong about everything ever. The fact of the matter is that every Black Sabbath album is good.

Are you forgetting that you're Canadian? Get back in your cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Black Box is value for money, but its remastering while not as bad as some of the garbage remasters (*cough Iron Maiden*) is still not so good. I strongly recommend getting the deluxe edition of the first 6 albums; you can find them for $100-$120 total but the remastering is vastly superior and more than worth the extra $$$. They are some of metal's best albums, so why not spend a bit more to get the very best from them?

Why the fuck are you even talking to me? You're a worthless faggot that nobody cares about and you have bad taste in music. Go away.

Why the fuck are you even talking to me? You're a worthless faggot that nobody cares about and you have bad taste in music. Go away.

Somebody's on the rag. But seriously, I used Headless Cross as a coaster last night and it broke. The album fails at even being a good coaster. Go figure.