Black Sabbath - Sabotage

zinescene

Feb 11, 2002
Michigan
www.myspace.com
Heard Am I going Insane on Sirius Radio today and it brought back some memories. Black Sabbath's Sabotage was a big favorite of mine growing up even though it was often over looked in favor of Paranoid and Master of Reality. I'd go as far to say that top to bottom is was once of my favorites (along with Black Sabbath).

Just curious what other "overlooked" gems other people have in their collection. Albums that didn't get a lot of notariety but you enjoyed nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have to say is.. Paranoid is one of the most annoying/overplayed Sabbath song ever. I think I'd kill myself if I ever had to sing it again.

Overlooked gems:

People focus on Holy Diver, Last in Line, Dream Evil, etc. with Dio. No. Lock Up the Wolves is amazing.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is EASILY my favorite Maiden CD. And I've heard them all. A lot. Nothing beats Seventh Son.

VH1 sucks for metal history. Bands like Motley Crue and Great White get on their "metal" shows, while old school bands like Angel Witch and Diamond Head get, like, nothing. Fuck those guys. They're the reason Killswitch Engage is popular and are the band mainstream people think are real metal. Etc etc.

Sabotage is my absolute favorite Black Sabbath album. It's always pissed me off to no end that people will talk about "the first 5 Sabbath albums" yet they'll completely ignore this, which I find to be their best work.

As for underappreciated albums, the one that I instantly think of is "The Dark Ride" by Helloween. Absolutely fantastic album, despite a slightly newer direction. Other favorites are Saxon's "Lionheart", Dream Theater's "Octavarium" and what will undoubtedly be an underappreciated classic, Judas Priest's "Nostradamus." I'm sure there are more I'm not remembering though.

VH1 sucks for metal history. Bands like Motley Crue and Great White get on their "metal" shows, while old school bands like Angel Witch and Diamond Head get, like, nothing. Fuck those guys. They're the reason Killswitch Engage is popular and are the band mainstream people think are real metal. Etc etc.

Got that right. VH1 definitely doesn't know what metal is for the most part. They seem stuck on those wimpy, glam-like bands as you mentioned or just straight up hard rock bands like Van Halen, Kiss and Guns 'n' Roses. Even Motorhead, which is rarely but still mentioned, I don't even consider metal, just heavy rock. The only metal they tend to actually talk about is Metallica, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath and Dio.

Exactly, as were Unleash The Beast and Metalhead. The Inner Sanctum and Into The Labyrinth are also very good. Saxon rules.

Yep. The one band I truly am dying to see. Their recent catalog is very underrated I feel. Into the Labyrinth I think was the best of both worlds as it had their more modern sound they've had over the last few albums, but they also threw in a lot of their classic, hard rocking tunes in as well such as "Slow Lane Blues" for example.

Overlooked gems:

People focus on Holy Diver, Last in Line, Dream Evil, etc. with Dio. No. Lock Up the Wolves is amazing.

Lock Up The Wolves is even, on par with Holy Diver in my opinion! The title track itself sounds like something that Sabbath should've released during the Dio era. I'd love to hear an epic doom band like Candlemass or Solitude Aeturnus do a cover of that song.

~Brian~

Yep. The one band I truly am dying to see. Their recent catalog is very underrated I feel. Into the Labyrinth I think was the best of both worlds as it had their more modern sound they've had over the last few albums, but they also threw in a lot of their classic, hard rocking tunes in as well such as "Slow Lane Blues" for example.

I was dying to see them too and I've fulfilled my dream on March 25 in Aarhus, Denmark. What a killer show it was! I even met the guys when they came out of their tour bus in the afternoon, chatted a bit with Biff and Paul and took some pics.

As for Slow Lane Blues, I have to say that it's a very average track IMO, one of my least faves from ITL...Battalions Of Steel, Demon Sweeney Todd, Valley Of The Kings and Come Rock Of Ages are great songs from that disc.

Sabotage is my absolute favorite Black Sabbath album. It's always pissed me off to no end that people will talk about "the first 5 Sabbath albums" yet they'll completely ignore this, which I find to be their best work.

As for underappreciated albums, the one that I instantly think of is "The Dark Ride" by Helloween. Absolutely fantastic album, despite a slightly newer direction. Other favorites are Saxon's "Lionheart", Dream Theater's "Octavarium" and what will undoubtedly be an underappreciated classic, Judas Priest's "Nostradamus." I'm sure there are more I'm not remembering though.

Got to agree here, for the pre-Dio era, SABOTAGE and VOL.4 are my Sabbath favorites - as for underappreciated albums, that's another thread entirely IMO...

There honestly isn't a bad track on the album, and it definitely is Ozzy's best performance Sabbath or solo. He never was that intense before or after this disc.