Blast Beats, Gravity Beats, etc. without Cookie Monster Vox

TheCatharsisEffect

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
Augusta, GA
Hey all...

I'm looking to incorporate the blast beat within a power-metal/thrash-metal/speed-metal/epic vocal style context. Has anyone heard bands that specialize in this. I'm sure there are a lot of bands that have one or two songs like this... but the rest of their stuff is screaming and "cookie monster" growling vox. I have plans on putting a lot of hardcore patterns into my music... but I am really attracted to the Ripper Owens/King Diamond/Dio/Matt Barlow/style... (I realize that's more than one style... but, you should get the idea of what I'm talking about by listening to each of those vocalists.... you can add the singer from Symphony X, but I can't recall his name and I'm way too lazy to look for it now.)

Thanks.

And yes.. Matt Barlow still kicks ass even though he's a cop... now, probably more literally than ever. :worship: BARLOW

Some Dark Tranquillity songs have blast beats, and they don't use cookie monster vocals very often.

Also, Mid-era Behemoth.

OK awesome... what albums would you suggest? As you can tell, it's probably something I should ease into. I like the new Mastadon shit... but, I think that's because Blood Mountain is the most popular sounding album (from the reviews I've read... I haven't actually heard their other stuff).

Ok... I'm DL Wintersun's S/T from iTunes as we speak... What Dark Tranquility and Behemoth albums are good for a Black Metal newbie with the above posts in mind....?

For Dark Tranquillity, go with Character, Fiction, The Gallery and the Mind's I. These albums all have songs where blast beats are incorporated, but use black metal-esque screams most of the time.

For Behemoth, get Pandemonic Incantations. As they all have blast beats in one song or another. However, Nergal uses black metal shrieks instead of the guttural growls he does in his blackened death metal work.

Also, consider getting At The Gates first two albums, which use blast beats but doesn't resort to growling.

lol i think the OP wants clean singing with blasts.

I don't know who OP is... but, yeah... If Power Metal type shit is "clean singing" yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Eitherway, it appears I've found a hole in the genre... I suppose I'll just have to fill it with my own rock sauce. Thanks for the support!

Ok... I'm DL Wintersun's S/T from iTunes as we speak... mind....?

LISTENING:kickass: This shit kicks ASS!

SHIT YEAH!

Man you guys rock! Cock Rockin!

Something about the use of a blast beat really tickles my ear... If any of you dudes have a band or idea for tunes that incorporate the blast beat within a Power Metal context... let me know... I'll definitely be down to collaborate on some shit.

I'm currently in Afghanistan on a musical sojourn... studying Persian Music and shit... but, when I get back I'll be back to my studio, my drum kit, and my guitars...

:headbang:

LISTENING:kickass: This shit kicks ASS!

SHIT YEAH!

Man you guys rock! Cock Rockin!

Something about the use of a blast beat really tickles my ear... If any of you dudes have a band or idea for tunes that incorporate the blast beat within a Power Metal context... let me know... I'll definitely be down to collaborate on some shit.

I'm currently in Afghanistan on a musical sojourn... studying Persian Music and shit... but, when I get back I'll be back to my studio, my drum kit, and my guitars...

:headbang:

Glad you liked it. One of my favourite albums ever. Those blast beats in the chorus of 'Beautiful Death' with the clean vocals over the top = magnificent.