circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Blessed by a Broken Heart – All is Fair in Love and War
Blood & Ink Records – BIR1009 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

bbabh_cover.gif

Judging from the cover art of Blessed by a Broken Heart’s debut album, I thought I was going to hear something punk-like. However, All is Fair in Love and War is a slab of metalcore that is leagues above what I expected. This record isn’t without faults, though.

Similar to their labelmates in Foreknown, the band could use different song titles; they’re just stupid. And, what’s the deal with the nearly unidentifiable soundclips from various media? To get back on track, “Action” opens All is Fair in Love and War with a fairly good introduction. “Another War / Another Day” dispenses all requisite metalcore elements during its lifespan: distorted vocals, barrage of double-bass, and so on and so forth. I do enjoy the grooves found on “That Knife Ain’t for Butter” – oftentimes the group presents ideas similar to that of As I Lay Dying. Conversely, though, Blessed by a Broken Heart seemingly focus on a cleaner, more polished sound than is typical for metalcore, which is fine. Everything does get a bit more muddled on “The Devil is the Don,” but is spruced up on “Sawing My Head Off.” “Mic Skillz” is both inane and annoying; promptly skip it. The record closes with “Somekind of Wonderful,” “OMG!” and “Courting Mary.”

As I said earlier, I was surprised to hear metalcore after glancing at the cover art. Thankfully, Blessed by a Broken Heart were efficient on All is Fair in Love and War. The band still needs a lot of work in order to properly hone their skills, but this is by no means a bad debut.

7.5/10

Official Blessed by a Broken Heart Website
Official Blood and Ink Records Website