Blind Guardian and Astral Doors yesterday night

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
in Paris, the well known Elysée Montmartre. It was a sold out gig, which means about 1200-1300 people.

ASTRAL DOORS : Well you know I love these guys, but I've got to admit their live show isn't up to their 3 albums. Nils is a good vocalist but not the awesome singer as we know him on record, the whole band lacks "attitude" and charisma, and those cool little details on record seem to vanish live. I guess their inexperience shows. That was a cool set nevertheless, I think we can expect more from them in the future.

Setlist :

Black Rain
Bride of Christ
Tears from a Titan
Time to Rock
Evil is Forever
London Caves
Hungry People
Of the Son and the Father
Cloudbreaker

BLIND GUARDIAN pretty much kicked ass as expected, but once again I'm a little disappointed ;) Hansi was ill lately and he couldn't shout with his usual power, not to mention that he'll never be the best frontman ever...
The new drummer did a very good job (though he lacks personality compared to Stauch), André Olbrich is still a guitar god (no complaints there! :worship:) and even more important the crowd was so much into the band! I can't recall seeing such an atmosphere in this venue, for once everybody was singing out loud and that was worth the price alone.
The setlist was quite good, not astounding though, a few surprises like "Ashes to Ashes" (killer!) but also stinkers like "Harvest of Sorrow" and the useless "And Then There Was Silence" (great song on record, average and overlong live...). Curiously they only played 2 new songs, "Another Stranger Me" being the best one to me.

Setlist :

Intro : War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Born in a Mourning Hall
Nightfall
Script For my Requiem
Fly
Valhalla
Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)
Harvest of Sorrows
Ashes to Ashes
Bright Eyes
And Then There Was Silence
--- encore ---
Welcome to Dying
Another Stranger Me
Imaginations Form The Other Side
--- encore ---
Bard's Song (In The Forest)
Mirror Mirror

A good gig overall, I had fun (and drinks :D) with my metal fellows and the crowd was right on fire, but honestly that's not the best gig I've seen from Blind Guardian. Not the worst either ;)

Pics :
http://www.live-pics.net/concert/concert_061001_Blind-Guardians_FR.php
http://www.live-pics.net/concert/concert_061001_Astral-Doors_FR.php

Fangface said:
Setlist :

Black Rain
Bride of Christ
Tears from a Titan
Time to Rock
Evil is Forever
London Caves
Hungry People
Of the Son and the Father
Cloudbreaker

Kind of short isn't it? Some faves of mine were left out, oh well.

and the useless "And Then There Was Silence" (great song on record, average and overlong live...).

Disgree, I would kill to listen to it live. Love that song :headbang:

Setlist :

Intro : War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Born in a Mourning Hall
Nightfall
Script For my Requiem
Fly
Valhalla
Harvest of Sorrows
Ashes to Ashes
Bright Eyes
--- encore ---
Welcome to Dying
Another Stranger Me
--- encore ---
Mirror Mirror

Not bad but I would have put the first encore second and or close with Time What's Time :D

Glad you have a grrrrrrrrrrreat time mon ami, pretty envious overall ;)

Cool. I got my ticket for Novemver in San Francisco. One of my most anicipated shows of the year at this point....as I only kind of discovered my love for BG this year.

That's interesting about Astral Doors not being able to reproduce the energy of the cds. A friend of mine and I were discussing that very thing tonight, regarding the new Wolf. He was totally getting off on it and wanted to know if they had a DVD out. Not yet, I told him, but we both wondered if they could transfer the raw energy of The Black Flame to a live set. The jury is still out until we see a few concert reviews of them from a trusted source.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
That's interesting about Astral Doors not being able to reproduce the energy of the cds. A friend of mine and I were discussing that very thing tonight, regarding the new Wolf. He was totally getting off on it and wanted to know if they had a DVD out. Not yet, I told him, but we both wondered if they could transfer the raw energy of The Black Flame to a live set. The jury is still out until we see a few concert reviews of them from a trusted source.

November 4th (or 5th) we'll let you know about Wolf !

I'm a little surprised that Nils didn't do well live. I thought he did really well at Prog Power a few years ago with Wuthering Heights. He's funny looking onstage, IMO, but he delivered just fine.

Cool review! I really am hoping AD can make it over here someday soon. BG will be in Denver next month. I think I'm staying home that night. :saint:

Wyvern said:
Kind of short isn't it? Some faves of mine were left out, oh well.
45 minutes and that's it, but I'm fine with the setlist the way it is :)

Disgree, I would kill to listen to it live. Love that song :headbang:
I love "ATTWS" too but I think it just doesn't sound that good live, without all the intricate arrangements and backing vocals. There's something missing...

Not bad but I would have put the first encore second and or close with Time What's Time :D
Hell yeah! "Time What is Time" is one of their best ever, I wish they played more material from Somewhere Far Beyond!

Glad you have a grrrrrrrrrrreat time mon ami, pretty envious overall ;)
Gracias, fue una buena tarde ;)

I saw Wolf in Wacken a few years ago but that was after their second record, the line-up isn't exactly the same now. A pretty good gig overall as far as I can remember, and I'm very curious to see them again since they very likely have improved.

Wheezer said:
I'm a little surprised that Nils didn't do well live. I thought he did really well at Prog Power a few years ago with Wuthering Heights. He's funny looking onstage, IMO, but he delivered just fine.
Well... I'm a bit picky on singers :D Too many times I've been disappointed by guys who sound awesome on record and then can't hold a note on stage...

Nils did ok, I can't say he sucked, far from that. But just like Sean Peck from Cage (I remember we were discussing him lately), I think he's not as impressive in a live situation. Good, but not great.
He also lacks stage presence, he needs to gain experience in order to become more at ease with the crowd.

Fangface said:
I love "ATTWS" too but I think it just doesn't sound that good live, without all the intricate arrangements and backing vocals. There's something missing...

Got it. I suppose I would have thought the same then.

Maybe this will give you freind a taste!

Wolf - Moonlight video

:headbang:

Fangface said:
Well... I'm a bit picky on singers :D Too many times I've been disappointed by guys who sound awesome on record and then can't hold a note on stage...

Nils did ok, I can't say he sucked, far from that. But just like Sean Peck from Cage (I remember we were discussing him lately), I think he's not as impressive in a live situation. Good, but not great.
He also lacks stage presence, he needs to gain experience in order to become more at ease with the crowd.

I agree with all of that. Nils' Stage presence did lack. He spent a lot of time looking to either side of the stage as he walked from one side to the other, rather than out at the crowd. I don't get it, I guess, because they really can't see beyond the first few rows anyway.

Maybe I'm a little too forgiving. :lol:

Here's what Blind Guardian played in Trier, a slightly better setlist IMO. Why? Because of "I'm Alive" and "Lord of the Rings" :D

War Of Wrath
Into The Storm
Born In A Mourning Hall
Nightfall
Script For my Requiem
Fly
Valhalla
Lord Of The Rings
I'm Alive
Lost In The Twilight Hall
--- encore ---
Welcome to Dying
Another Stranger Me
--- encore ---
Mirror Mirror

From what I've seen, it seems they toss in and out 2 or 3 songs every night.

Fangface said:
BLIND GUARDIAN pretty much kicked ass as expected, but once again I'm a little disappointed ;) Hansi was ill lately and he couldn't shout with his usual power, http://www.live-pics.net/concert/concert_061001_Astral-Doors_FR.php

I wonder what's up with hearing so much about Hansi being ill in the last year or so. He was sick during the making of the album, I heard an interview well after the album was recorded and awaiting release when he said he'd just gotten over some sort of bronchial infection, and he apparently was not in the best condition for that Sessions at AOL.de set in August and still isn't sounding like he's at 100%. Hm.

I'm awaiting their show next month in Tempe, AZ. I hope he'll have gotten better by then.

I wish we'd have gotten Astral Doors instead of Leaves' Eyes for an opener. I've tried listening to them and it just doesn't work for me. Oh well.

Fangface said:
Here's what Blind Guardian played in Trier, a slightly better setlist IMO. Why? Because of "I'm Alive" and "Lord of the Rings" :D

War Of Wrath
Into The Storm
Born In A Mourning Hall
Nightfall
Script For my Requiem
Fly
Valhalla
Lord Of The Rings
I'm Alive
Lost In The Twilight Hall
--- encore ---
Welcome to Dying
Another Stranger Me
--- encore ---
Mirror Mirror

I'd die to see an exact setlist like this one! :headbang:
As if I wrote my best of BG setlist... :lol:
Well, I'm off to see them in Ljubljana on Saturday, so keep yer fingers crossed for me... ;)

As for AD's "inexperience" comments, I think they're as experienced as they can be...
I mean, they've got 3 albums!!!