Blood Red Throne – Come Death

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Blood Red Throne – Come Death
Earache Records – MOSH 332CD – 2007
By Dan Fisher

bloodredthrone.jpg

Okay when did Blood Red Throne get this good? There was me thinking they were another one of those bands that just went along and produced solid albums that, while essentially good, lacked any real ambition. Not any more. What is great about Come Death is that the band have taken the time to construct songs rather than long snooze-worthy passages of blastbeats coupled with the usual 'buffalo reciting nursery rhyme' vocals. Instead we have some fucking furious riffing that really segues well in and out of different time signatures. Take the track 'Deranged Assassin' for example. What begins with a huge, almost metal-core sound quickly descends into a super-fast death metal workout before effortlessly switching gears to more thrashy and dare I say progressive elements all in one song!(wipes sweat away from forehead). The production also benefits from using less digital technology than before, especially on the drums which sound very immediate and much less plastic than previous releases. As former Emperor member Tchort explains: "We have grown tired of the over-produced and fully triggered drum kits that so many bands use today, besides we have taken a slightly new direction with our music and the analog (sic) and dynamic sound fits the music better." So bravo Blood Red Throne. You have succeeded in making a very listenable but undeniably brutal effort that both challanges and excites the listener.

Official Blood Red Throne Website
Official Earache Website

Only part of this review I disagree with is the disparagement of prior BRT material. I thought "Altered Genesis" was amazing myself.

But this is truly heavy and violent, while still being different than what has gone before. Excellent death metal, as always, from these boys!:headbang: