Bloodstock Review + Photos

Sorry, that above post seemed like a dig at you! lol. I was just in a rush to get to college and happened to check the forum before I left.

Your pictures are amazing! But I'm afraid I have to disagree with a lot of what you said. Not because I love Firewind. Far from...because I am disagreeing with what we would call "good points".

Henning Basse forgot a lot of the words, he tried to pump the crowd up at all the wrong moments and I really couldn't get into it.

Worst Firewind show I've seen to be completely honest.

Henning is a good vocalist, I know this from his time with Metalium but he's just not Firewind. Apollo has a very non-power metal voice. It's more hard rock and more...bluesy (if that's a word!). I also think the band has a good mix of influences. Gus with his love of more old school rock like Black Sabbath, Petros with his love of Thin Lizzy (don't worry...I won't metion the fact you like Lost Prophets Petros!) and Bob with his love of the more power metal aspects.

On the other had I disagree with the the fact that Firewind are "unoriginal Euro-cheese". LOL. And that probably is because I love them. But I do think they have a more definitive sound. Hard hitting, with MEANINGFUL lyrics (not about slaying dragons, drinking magic potion and heavy metal hamsters). Songs like 'The Longest Day' are a ballsy move. Not many bands could get away with it. 'Tyranny'...deep, meaningful, full of emotion and power. Perfect.

I wouldn't have minded if you'd have said "unoriginal Euro-metal" even because it's an opinion. But Firewind are none of yer cheese!

I think you should see a Firewind headlining show. Really. With Apollo. Then decide ^_^.

Oh...and the Yngwie comment was HARSH :lol:

xx Kirsty

Glad you like the photos :)

I didn't mean for my review to come across too negatively as I totally enjoyed Firewind's set. It was just at some points it seemed the virtuosic musicianship took precedence over the songs themselves.

The 'cheese' comment was perhaps lazy journalism, though cheese aint necessarily a bad thing ya know (apart from with Freedom Call who I directly labelled as extra mature stilton in my review).

And I didn't mean the Yngwie comparison to come across too negatively either as I totally dig Malmsteen's playing. I saw him in Amsterdam 2 years ago - great musician, though a gigantic ego as he occupied 2 thirds of the stage while the rest of his band were squashed into the remaining space.

Anyhows, back on to Firewind - the Michael Angelo reference was meant totally complimentary too. As for Henning Basse - perhaps not the ideal vocalist to front Firewind (and perhaps made it a little more cheesy with his trad-power metal singing), though I thought he did a great job standing in at the last minute (otherwise you might not have got to see Firewind at Bloodstock at all!)

At the end of the day, listening to music is a very subjective experience, and my review represents 1 person's opinions. It's my honest interpretation of what I heard, saw and thought. I'm sure many others totally hated it, whereas others thought it was the best thing since sliced cheese (sorry...bread).

Definitely a band I'll check out in the future again though.

Glad you like the photos :)

I didn't mean for my review to come across too negatively as I totally enjoyed Firewind's set. It was just at some points it seemed the virtuosic musicianship took precedence over the songs themselves.

The 'cheese' comment was perhaps lazy journalism, though cheese aint necessarily a bad thing ya know (apart from with Freedom Call who I directly labelled as extra mature stilton in my review).

And I didn't mean the Yngwie comparison to come across too negatively either as I totally dig Malmsteen's playing. I saw him in Amsterdam 2 years ago - great musician, though a gigantic ego as he occupied 2 thirds of the stage while the rest of his band were squashed into the remaining space.

Anyhows, back on to Firewind - the Michael Angelo reference was meant totally complimentary too. As for Henning Basse - perhaps not the ideal vocalist to front Firewind (and perhaps made it a little more cheesy with his trad-power metal singing), though I thought he did a great job standing in at the last minute (otherwise you might not have got to see Firewind at Bloodstock at all!)

At the end of the day, listening to music is a very subjective experience, and my review represents 1 person's opinions. It's my honest interpretation of what I heard, saw and thought. I'm sure many others totally hated it, whereas others thought it was the best thing since sliced cheese (sorry...bread).

Definitely a band I'll check out in the future again though.

Haha, don't worry, I was indeed diggin' the review and wasn't slating anything you said!

I like Freedom Call...but you are 1,000,000% right. Mature stilton with a cheese sauce.

Personally, not a fan on Yngwie...I'm of the opinion, big headed, egotistical, and typically a show off and a fret wanker :p

I know that if Henning didn't step in I wouldn't have seen them and I have the utmost respect for Firewind to honour their commitment to the festival rather than just pulling out (TAKE NOTE BLIND GUARDIAN).

But I thought Firewind were like a jigsaw puzzle and Henning was the awkward piece that didn't fit...he reminded me of Vince Neil O_O

xx Kirsty