Bloody Sunday

Mar 30, 2003
on Earth
seen the film yesterday eve. was quite impressed. i did know the specifics to the incident, but i didnt have a proper thought on it, could have guessed tho. i wonder how the scriptwriters got their information that specifically, tho i think there's some personal interpretation to it ;) (the film's storyline is between this guy Ivan Cooper, setting up a peace and civil rights march in Derry, occupied territory by the Brits in the 60ies and 70ies, and on the other side the english troops, wanting to settle the unrest by militants and IRA (-supporters). the rest is common knowledge.)

there are more incidents like this (daily stuff for many many ppl), as it apparently cost 13 ppl their lives on that January day. do you think, measured according to the lives lost that this is a significant incident, or do you think it's overrated by the media, and hyped by songs (u2) as it is just another piece in the war between twisted religious minds..?

i felt a deep disappointment when i left the place.

1) What has british soldiers shooting civil rights marchers got to do with religion?? The brits would love you to believe thats whats gone on in northern ireland is a war between two religious sects, its not.

2) Why is it a big deal?? cos the british sent northern nationalists a very clear message, shut your mouths and accept your status as 2nd class citizens or else.... It basically it proved to ppl what the IRA had claimed back then: that the british were an army of occupation

if you dont live in ireland you might not get the signifigance of what happened that day, for example the british embassy in dublin was burned to the ground soon after bloody sunday by dubliners- thats a big deal. It was a turning point, we mightnt have had 25 years of violence up north but for bloody sunday

BTW that film is fairly accurate fact wise from what i remember, it was also shot im my home town (not in derry) so you get to see where i live when the brits are shooting everyone. :wave:

Bambi said:
1) What has british soldiers shooting civil rights marchers got to do with religion?? The brits would love you to believe thats whats gone on in northern ireland is a war between two religious sects, its not.

2) Why is it a big deal?? cos the british sent northern nationalists a very clear message, shut your mouths and accept your status as 2nd class citizens or else.... It basically it proved to ppl what the IRA had claimed back then: that the british were an army of occupation

obviously, everything has a source. if it's not Protestantism vs Catholicism, what is it then?
Alrite, the English have a wide range of historical imperialism, and having a lot of blood on their hands (annum now, they still havent learned their lesson), but that's not only the case then i guess.

if you dont live in ireland you might not get the signifigance of what happened that day, for example the british embassy in dublin was burned to the ground soon after bloody sunday by dubliners- thats a big deal. It was a turning point, we mightnt have had 25 years of violence up north but for bloody sunday
that's exacly the feeling i had after seeing the film: if this hadnt happened the way it did, agitation amongst the Derry pop. hadnt been that high. the English shouldve realised force doesnt end imbalance.

saw the movie to , in cinema the first week when it came out. really great, everyone stayed when u2 played at the end. And when the applause at the end of the song came, everyone

left the bilding.

it's almost a year since i saw the movie, but i quite liked it, even though it wasn't as 'neutral' as it claimed to be... which i didn't mind.

but like bambi said i guess it became clear on bloody sunday that the ira was right about some things, and thus the ira became much more popular... many more joined.

during 30-35 years of trouble 3500-4000 died... what's more important, every day there still die people. you hardly hear anything about it anymore in the media because all the press agencies packed there stuff and went away since the 'peace agreement' in 1998. (it's been broken at least 3 times since).

since both the loyalist groups and the ira has splitted up in different organisations... it's hard to say it's still about religion... i guess it's more to be compared with a kind of mafia ... about money and guns... for the murders and tortures i heard they still find inspiration in religious themes though... like the bloke which was crucified by a protestant militarist group.

i just got intrested in this northern ireland 'case' because i had to do a task about it for me school... though i don't claim to understand much of it. when we watched some documentaries about the people there both groups seemed to be the same... only they didn't knew about eachother.

marginalé said:
saw the movie to , in cinema the first week when it came out. really great, everyone stayed when u2 played at the end. And when the applause at the end of the song came, everyone
left the bilding.

that's a nice gesture which was repeated after the showing i was at.

toolsofthetrade said:
(the film's storyline is between this guy Ivan Cooper, setting up a peace and civil rights march in Derry, occupied territory by the Brits in the 60ies and 70ies, and on the other side the english troops, wanting to settle the unrest by militants and IRA (-supporters).

toolsofthetrade said:
obviously, everything has a source. if it's not Protestantism vs Catholicism, what is it then?

Ivan Cooper is a protestant like

this film is fuckin briliant. you must see it. probably the best thing i watched the last film season. and learn your history right.