Blu light into Power tubes....any idea?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Some minutes ago I turned on my 6505+ and it sounded a little weird (a little undergained and bassy) than normal.
After some playing the problem continued and I went in the rear of the head to check the tubes and........the power tubes had the usual orange light but also a blu light (like a lighter :D ). So I tried to go in standby and the blu light disappeared...turn off the standy and the blu light re-appeared....
Time to change power tubes?

You know what? The site says the blue light is caused by some oxigen inside the tube, something like that.... but isn't strange the light appears in all the power tubes? Don't know...only curious

The site says that its gas causing the blue light, and that the gas can be bad for the tubes.
It also says something about that if you dont handle them carefully enough, you can break the vacuum of the tube which will give you this blue light(Which also means that the tube is FUBAR.).

Part 1) It is this kind of blue glow that indicate the vacuum is not as good as can be. The electrons on their way from the Cathode to Anode hit gas molecules, that get ionized from the incidents. The recombination of Ions and Electrons produce the light effects. The Gas ions are much heavier than electrons, and hit the Cathode with a considerable about of energy. This causes early wear-out of the cathode, and grid current if it gets worse. The tube will self destroy eventually.

2 pics of the phenomena :D

Tubes1.jpg

Tubes2.jpg

yeah bro time for some new powertubes

Dark blue glow in the glass is pretty common in larger tubes. I haven't noticed it in any of my EL34 amps, but in many 6L6 tubes. If the tubes were glowing pink or purple inside the plate, you'd better change them immediately.

If there was a loss of gain in the distorting stages in the preamp, I'd check preamp tubes.

My question is: ok, it's a gas inside, the electrons etc.... but why all the tubes at the same time?

My guess is it's just a tiny impurity in the tube. You might have not noticed it before, but it probably has been there for a long time, and might not have anything to do with your amp sounding bad?

But if you've got some extra cash, you could get a set of some nice Svetlana SED or Tungsol tubes ;) Then have your old tubes as a spare set.

Totally normal.
The blue glow is fluorescence, just like how a fluorescent or neon bulb works.

Glass tubes have visible glow inside them. Most audio types use oxide-coated cathodes, which glow a cheery warm orange color. And thoriated-filament tubes, such as the SV811 and SV572 triodes, show both a white-hot glow from their filaments and (in some amplifiers) a slight orange glow from their plates. All of these are normal effects. Some newcomers to the tube-audio world have also noticed that some of their tubes emit a bluish-colored glow. There are TWO causes for this glow in audio power tubes; one of them is normal and harmless, the other occurs only in a bad audio tube.

* 1) Most Svetlana glass power tubes show FLUORESCENCE GLOW. This is a very deep blue color. It can appear wherever the electrons from the cathode can strike a solid object. It is caused by minor impurities, such as cobalt, in the object. The fast-moving electrons strike the impurity molecules, excite them, and produce photons of light of a characteristic color. This is usually observed on the interior of the plate, on the surface of the mica spacers, or on the inside of the glass envelope. THIS GLOW IS HARMLESS. It is normal and does not indicate a tube failure. Enjoy it. Many people feel it improves the appearance of the tube while in operation.
* 2) Occasionally a tube will develop a small leak. When air gets into the tube, AND when the high plate voltage is applied, the air molecules can ionize. The glow of ionized air is quite different from the fluorescence glow above--ionized air is a strong purple color, almost pink. This color usually appears INSIDE the plate of the tube (though not always). It does not cling to surfaces, like fluorescence, but appears in the spaces BETWEEN elements. A tube showing this glow should be replaced right away, since the gas can cause the plate current to run away and (possibly) damage the amplifier.

PLEASE NOTE: some older hi-fi and guitar amplifiers, and a very few modern amplifiers, use special tubes that DEPEND on ionized gas for their normal operation.

* -Some amps use mercury vapor rectifiers, such as types 83, 816, 866 or 872. These tubes glow a strong blue-purple color in normal use. They turn AC power into DC to run the other tubes.
-And occasionally, vintage and modern amplifiers use gas-discharge regulator tubes, such as types 0A2, 0B2, 0C2, 0A3, 0B3, 0C3 or 0D3.

These tubes rely on ionized gas to control a voltage tightly, and normally glow either blue-purple or pink when in normal operation. If you are unsure if these special tubes are used in your amplifier, consult with an experienced technican before replacing them.

ALSO NOTE: these light sources cannot be seen in metal-ceramic tubes, because their parts are opaque. As we said above, it is difficult to tell if a ceramic tube has become gassy. Usually, in a large radio transmitter, a gassy tube will arc over internally. (This does not damage the transmitter. It has protective circuits.) The equipment operating manual should give more information on this.

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/How_Vacuum_Tubes_Work.htm

The only time a tube is 'bad' is when it doesn't work.

The blue light is absolutely no indication whatsoever that your tubes are bad. Usually when a tube is gone, the top turns white. The reason your tubes all turn blue at once when you take it out of standby is because the amp is then going into high voltage. In other words, standby is simply there to keep the tube heaters on, so that you don't eat the life of the tubes or the amp since it runs hotter when your not using it and also so you walk up to your amp and start jamming on it without waiting for the tubes to warm up. The heat creates a vacuum so that the electrons can start flowing, hence the name "vacuum tubes".

Also, not all tubes glow blue, but some do, when the high voltage is engaged, for whatever reason, most notibly SOVTEKS are well known for the blue glow, and since Ruby Tubes are simply re-labeled tubes (usually sovteks) they will also emitt that nice blue glow. The blue light does not mean that there is a problem with your tubes, also, some tubes do glow brighter than others, again, this means nothing in terms of trouble shooting.

Thats why they ALL turn blue at once.

My Brand New Splawn amp which is maybe a month and a half old has sovtek KT88 power amp tubes, which have a blue glow when its out of standby, and when I put it in standby the tubes start glowing blue again. The amp sounds great and there is no indication at all that it has lost any tone at all.

The problem lies elsewhere, I'd say that if you want to try you can (disclaimer i take no responsibility for what happens, you do this at your own risk) take your preamp tubes out and check the tops to see if they turned white (please turn the amp off and unplug it first) they will be white on top, even without power, or if there is a hole in the tubes themselves. Or better yet, take it in to a trained professional who has the knowledge of electronics, because of the high voltages running through the amp, when when unplugged and powered off. If you decide to look at it yourself, just be very careful and make sure you know what your doing!

I've gone through about 100 tubes in my lifetime, and all have a blue hue to them. It's perfectly normal.