Body Count-Smokeout DVD

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Body Count-Cypress Hill’s 6th Annual Smokeout
By: Sixxswine

I remember seeing Body Count on the Lollapalooza tour in the early 90’s.
I honestly can’t remember a lot about the performance, for reasons I won’t disclose here, but I do recall it being fun, involving a lot of energy and some hardcore slamming. Body Count’s performance from 2003’s Smokeout was captured on tape as were many of the performances from that event. The camera work is so-so, not as good as one would expect, the sound is completely from the sound board, as you can barely hear the audience, even Ice-T take the time to blast the sound man in the middle of the performance. The opening number is “Body Count’s in the House,” then move into “Body Motherfuckin’ Count,” the crowd is barely into the performance and even Ice asks if they are alive? Two more number pass before “Bowls of the Devil,” at this point the portion of the audience closes to the stage is into the performance, but anyone behind that needs to have their pulse checked. Next is “K.K.K. Bitch,” then the unnecessary “Drive By,” a new number “End Game,” which is on the Iraq war, this track killed the momentum that Ice-T and company had built. The pace is quickly picked up by “There Goes the Neighborhood,” and the closing number “Cop Killer,” at that point the crowd is as alive as they’ll get. This DVD features what it considers extras, but it’s really nothing tat pertains specifically to Body Count’s performance. It’s a section on Skateboarding and another section on the making of the event. The verdict? Well, some of their material hasn’t aged well, but some still stands the test of time, it’s a good performance, unfortunately most of the audience didn’t show their love.