Book of Black Earth - Horoskopus

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Book of Black Earth – Horoskopus
Prosthetic Records – 14 Oct 2008
by Ryan Starr

51LRfL-rqsL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I was first introduced to Book of Black Earth at the Watain tour. Since their mix through the PA was less than stellar, I was eager to get their latest record to see what it really should sound like. Horoskopus is somewhere between black metal, death metal, and thrash. I hear subtle amounts of Slayer and Lamb of God transformed into a heavy black metal sound that may be unique but perhaps too familiar.

While I like the idea of taking the black/thrash style into the 21st century, I think Horoskopus edges close to pedestrian. I wouldn’t say it’s completely average; actually it doesn’t really get close. But when I hear the Lamb of God style riffs I get concerned. I feel like it takes away from the epic feeling that these riffs could have, if they were just played with a little less groove. Now that my concerns are voiced, I still think this is a great album. The less thrashy parts are well written and really help you capture an iniquitous atmosphere. ‘God of War’ is a great example of this, starting with a doom-like intro leading into a blitzkrieg black metal riff. The tension builds up throughout the intro until the song ultimately explodes into a sinful rage. It’s this sort of writing that makes Horoskopus a release worth buying.

So while some small parts may creep towards ordinary, the rest is pretty damn cool. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit more modern but is not destined for Headbangers Ball.

Official Book of Black Earth Myspace
Official Prosthetic Records Website
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ightbringer-vision-mara-13-oct-08-denver.html

I really dug this because the guitar sound was so thick and brutal throughout. The opening riffs of "2016" were total sludge...very cool!

Great HEAVY release that mixes styles well and should appeal to many!