Boring..... I know, but how many here love 70's rock ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't born listening to Sabbath, but it just didn't happen that way. My first guitar hero was Tom Schultz of Boston. From the 80's forward, I always preferred underground or heavy stuff, but even the radio friendly rock of the 70's kicked ass !! Bad Company, Zep, Boston, AC/DC etc.

Bryant

The music was a lot better in the 70`s, a lot better. And bands cant write songs like those people did anymore. They were pioneers too because rock music was evolving. So many good bands and so much music, that most of it, people wont hear about because it doesnt get played anymore.

Doesnt get played where? There are radio stations everywhere dedicated to it.

The radio stations only play the same few hundred tracks on repeat. There are so many tracks that never get played. In fact, there are many many bands that dont get played at all because they have been forgotten about over the decades. I can remember how many bands there were in that era and I know I have forgotten the names of many, many bands that I used to listen to.

The radio stations only play the same few hundred tracks on repeat. There are so many tracks that never get played. In fact, there are many many bands that dont get played at all because they have been forgotten about over the decades. I can remember how many bands there were in that era and I know I have forgotten the names of many, many bands that I used to listen to.
Eh. Community radio here plays heaps of stuff that doesn't get played elsewhere. Plus sometimes it's good to find stuff that doesn't get shoved down everyone's throats on the 'Golden Oldies' stations. Just because something hasn't been played in a while doesn't mean it's gone forever.

Also, you speak like you lived through it bit according to you profile you're 36...?

The music was a lot better in the 70`s, a lot better. And bands cant write songs like those people did anymore. They were pioneers too because rock music was evolving. So many good bands and so much music, that most of it, people wont hear about because it doesnt get played anymore.

Hardly pioneers, they mostly just borrowed heavily from blues.

Eh. Community radio here plays heaps of stuff that doesn't get played elsewhere. Plus sometimes it's good to find stuff that doesn't get shoved down everyone's throats on the 'Golden Oldies' stations. Just because something hasn't been played in a while doesn't mean it's gone forever.

Also, you speak like you lived through it bit according to you profile you're 36...?

Lol and this is the guy who's been out of the metal loop since 1990. I guess he must have been a musically well informed retro-minded 10 year old.

I am older than 36. These radio stations only play the same songs. There was a radio station in the UK way back called `the friday rock show` and it was hosted by a guy whom has subsequently died called Tommy Vance and it was so good. They were wonderful times, lots of bands out there, and it WAS evolving, because hard rock / heavy rock was sort of about a decade old or so, and different directions everywhere already, prog and all sorts. I remember him playing a concert by an up and coming band called rush from the pink pop festival, featuring new songs such as `la villa strangiato` ( buenos nochas mein froinds and welcome to la villa strangiato ) woooooooow. I mean obv they are known now and you can still get that concert which if I remember, Alex played through it with a broken finger on his fret hand! There was so much diversity and variety every week, and many of the bands I have forgotten the names of. There were heavy rock bands touring every week, I used to go to shows every two weeks. There was no thrash and speed metal and black metal and what have you then. The music was a different type then.

I'm happy to be the age I am in this decade. Sure, being around while Hendrix was playing shows or when KISS were first coming out would be cool but at the same time, we are showered with reissues of rare music that people from those times probably would have never discovered because it was too obscure.

Also it's a bullshit argument to say that bands today aren't as creative and aren't pushing boundaries and inventing new sounds like they were in the 1970's.

You show me one band from the 1970's that sounds like Slough Feg.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Commercial Music, as far as selling records, is dead now. There isnt much of a market now, since the downloading thing. This is why the bands that made themselves very rich from selling units, they rarely release albums now, and when they do its a rehash of older recordings or remasters.

Dno how much album sales actually affect innovation. I would agree that bands were more "innovative" in the 70's, not because I think people were more inspired or worked harder then, but just because there was more uncovered territory to innovate within. A band like Slough Feg certainly couldn't have existed in the 70's, but their sound is very much based on 80's worship.

Show me a band from the 1980's that sounds like Slough Feg.

I certainly agree that they're influenced by 80's bands, but not necessarily worship. There is 70's in their sound and not exclusively metal either.

Show me a band from the 1980's that sounds like Slough Feg.

I certainly agree that they're influenced by 80's bands, but not necessarily worship. There is 70's in their sound and not exclusively metal either.

Fates Warning's Night on Brocken springs to mind as an example. Not saying Slough Feg are derivative, their sound definitely has a distinctiveness that straight up retro emulation bands can't muster. But they don't represent the same progression onwards from 80's heavy metal that Slayer represents compared to Priest, or Priest to Sabbath. Things just kinda slowed down post 1990.

Last edited:
So where do you guys think it is heading, into the next decade. Weve had hard rock, heavy rock, progressive rock and into heavy metal with hairbands and pop rock, into black metal, speed metal, thrash etc what is the next?

Not really, there's a huge leap in difference between heavy metal and death metal compared to hard rock and heavy metal.

Death Metal was a late 80's innovation, though, and it came via thrash rather than straight from heavy metal. In a sense Slough Feg are more musically dated than your average old school death metal band.

So where do you guys think it is heading, into the next decade. Weve had hard rock, heavy rock, progressive rock and into heavy metal with hairbands and pop rock, into black metal, speed metal, thrash etc what is the next?

Nothing totally new, just more and more subtle variations in the combination of existing genres... so like Technical Blackened Death Thrash or some such shit.

I listen to 70's rock bands. Bad Company and Cheap Trick being two of my favorites.