Borknagar taps producer Jens Bogren for new album.

Nice choice! I loved what he did with Ihsahn's After.

I've always stated that the main (and probably) only problem with Borknagar has been the production, especially since Epic. While I like good production values on albums (to catch every detail), I think the overpolished production affects negatively to the sound as a whole. While it's true that every individual instrument can be clearly heard, it does sound pretty isolated and the cohesive feeling is gone. It's too damn apparent that the tracks were recorded alone and just put together. Universal was excellent, but the drums and vocals were too high in the mix compared to the rest for my taste (a common problem with modern productions).

Really? That Ihsahn album is nothing compaired to DTP Decon. Jens made fucking audio art with that album.

I completely agree with you on that! Deconstruction is one of the most well produced metal albums, or albums period, that I've ever heard. I'm so thrilled you guys went with him. I literally can't imagine how great this album is gonna sound. I also really like what he did with Opeth's last 2 albums! I'm quite fond of this guys abilities! :worship:

I haven't heard Deconstruction yet. I'll check it out.

This guy seems to be excellent in his work, so I'm looking forward to a excellent produced album.

Going slightly OP here, but...

Well, I've just gave a listen to Deconstruction with my hi-fi audio system. The production is probably the most advanced I've heard in a metal album to date. Sadly, everything excepting Devin's vocals sounds so lifeless...

Guitars, bass and drums sounds like every other 'well produced' album, played by any other 'professional' musician. There's no identity and character at all. Just listen Dimmu Borgir's Abrahadabra. Can you tell me who's playing the drums there solely based on listening the album? hell no. It could have been programmed, played by any tech death metal drummer, you wouldn't never know. I know Devin plays everything, but if you tell me that the guitars were done by session guitarists I believe you. Everything is compressed to hell and at the end everything sounds very plain.

While I like to hear an album with great production, I also like to hear the musicians printing their style on the recordings. Most of my fav albums has good production values, but the main feature on them is the unique performance, atmosphere and songwriting.

About After, In that album at least you can recognize right away to Asgeir, Lars and Jorgen (sax).

STILL, I hope Jens will do a excellent job for Borknagar's next opus.

I loved what he did with Ihsahn's After.

Now that's an epic quote if you speak German.

I'm a drummer myself and I have some problems to clearly discern between the programmed drums and the 2 drummers that play there as session members.

you're not completely right, but not completely wrong either ;)

Townsend's Deconstruction is a huge album anyway, just as expected