BOSS Metal Zone

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Wow, what a great pedal. I just got it today, and it sounds so clean and crisp, I absolutely love it. I have a teeny tiny Peavy 8" amp for my dorm room, and it even made it sound great. Best 90 bucks I ever spent.

The MT-2 is a great band-aid fix for an amp that can't get metal tone on it's own.

Any good tube amp should be able to get Brutal Metal Crunch without a pedal.

I used to use a Metal Zone pedal in conjunction with a Sovtek Mig 50 head and a Carvin 2X12 cabinet. It was a very cheap set up, but for the money I can't imagine getting a better sound. That Sovtek head could be cranked for a very warm tube tone. Then when you kicked in the Metal Zone pedal, all kinds of thick distortion tones came from that puppy. I have a marshall 1X12 combo now. I don't have a band, so don't make fun of my set up. But Xenophobe is right, any good amp (tube or solid state) can give great distortion tones.

Yeah the metal zone is a great addition to a small setup.. I bought mine a while ago and it really gives my crate 80 watt practice amp that "liquid" distortion sound I was looking for. Provided that you don't crank the level on the pedal too high, then you run into some problems. I think its a great pedal, but as was said earlier, when you get a good tube amp that will punch out good metal distortion, you won't want to use the pedal anymore.

- Put through the clean channel of a powerful tube amp (i.e. mesa boogie dual rec) the sound is thin........

- Put through the distorted channel " ", you get way too much feedback, unless you use the EQ's on the pedal to tone it down a bit.

Originally posted by npearce
I used to use a Metal Zone pedal in conjunction with a Sovtek Mig 50 head and a Carvin 2X12 cabinet. It was a very cheap set up, but for the money I can't imagine getting a better sound. That Sovtek head could be cranked for a very warm tube tone. Then when you kicked in the Metal Zone pedal, all kinds of thick distortion tones came from that puppy. I have a marshall 1X12 combo now. I don't have a band, so don't make fun of my set up. But Xenophobe is right, any good amp (tube or solid state) can give great distortion tones.

That's actually a pretty sweet inexpensive (under $500 complete) setup... Those Sovtek MIG heads don't have much distortion in them alone, but get a MT2, OD1 or DS1 and push a hot signal into the front end and you have a nice, warm and chunky tone for a good price.

Much better sounding than a POD, any day...

JMO