Bottom End In Mixes

BS666

New Metal Member
Sep 7, 2003
Hi Andy, Just listening too some of the bands u have mixed Skinlab,kilsswitch ect... , how du get the bottom end wether it be bass guitar or overall bottom end, too be so warm and powrfull without distorting ? Do u boost or cut the eq,s or compress the bass put some effects on the bass what is it?

i notice it a lot in Colin Richardson's stuff also.

any pointers would be great

cheers

as Hopkins said, definitely filter the bottom end to reduce rumble but afterwords instead of merely boosting the low end frequecies you kept, apply a multi-band compressor plug (e.g. Waves LinMB or Waves C4) to clamp down on the low end and really tighen it up.. this will allow you to restrict the dynamic range of your remaining lows while boosting or cutting as necessary to achieve the low end punch you desire.

C4 may be a better choice to process just the kick track(s) since it has less latency than LinMB in a native, a.k.a. "host-based", environment in which the prcessing is handled by the host processor rather than by a dedicated processor such as in a Pro Tools TDM system.

and now a word from Andy....:worship:

Anything that doesnt need low end, get rid. Filters are so important with this type of music. Triggering the kick for a constant low always helps and like old Jimmi boy says, some multi band comp never goes amiss. I alway thought Colin was good with low end, glad you think we're similar. Us Englishmen like our fat bottom end...come to think of it, we don't have much choice these days haha, though Florida has to have the fattest I've ever seen, what do you say James??? You been feeding them up??

James Murphy said:
as Hopkins said, definitely filter the bottom end to reduce rumble but afterwords instead of merely boosting the low end frequecies you kept, apply a multi-band compressor plug (e.g. Waves LinMB or MOTU MW comp) to clamp down on the low end and really tighen it up.. this will allow you to restrict the dynamic range of your remaining lows while boosting or cutting as necessary to achieve the low end punch you desire.
Hey james. Good to see you back in action mate. :D

I hear you know a friend of mine called katie (posts on UM as bigfakesmile).

Keep rocking man. :headbang: