BOX SETS - who do you wish would do one?

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
I was thinking about this tonight. The first time I ever heard of a "box set" was when Led Zeppelin did it a few years back. It seems like every band who has at least 3 or 4 cd's and enough footage for a dvd is putting one out nowadays, though. The Box Set is not as cool a thing as it used to be. Granted, there are a few real gems out there. I think that when they put a lot of bonus tracks/b-sides/demos, and rarities in there then it's killer but when it's just a 4 cd greatest hits it can be a disaster....UNLESS the band is kickass enough to deserve a box set. Know what I mean? So with all that said, who do you think should do a box set that hasn't?????

Here's mine:

VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I wish they would do a box set with a ton of rarities and live tracks, stuff like that. Stuff from the club days, demos, etc. They could do a box of the Dave and Sammy eras together or do like Motley Crue and do two volumes. i'd buy both. Come on, Ed, GIMME A BREAK! Getcher shit together and do a box!

I think MOTLEY CRUE's set would have been a perfect box set with all the rarities and bonus tracks except that they put the same shit out only a few months before on the regular cd's. If you buy the box you're paying for the packaging, because you could get 100% the same audio buying the discs in the catalog....

Yeah that Motley Crue box set was bad! What a shameless attempt to cash in!

I think it'd be cool to have box sets from: Helloween, L.A. Guns, Enuff Z Nuff (I'm serious), Ramones, Megadeth and GWAR :)

I'd love to see a TRUE Dio retrospective boxed set (but, due to the number of different labels he's been on, I dont think it will ever happen).

It could include his EARLY stuff (late '50s, early '60s).
Some Elf including demos.
Of course Rainbow....particularly alt versions/demos.
Sabbath.....same as above, and anything from his solo days.

Also, DVD footage of each "era" would totally slay!

Abryl said:
Yeah that Motley Crue box set was bad! What a shameless attempt to cash in!

I think it'd be cool to have box sets from: Helloween, L.A. Guns, Enuff Z Nuff (I'm serious), Ramones, Megadeth and GWAR :)

Helloween and GWAR espcially. I would really like a TESTAMENT box set. OH yeah !

I don't believe in box sets. I either have all the albums of the band (because they rule or because I'm a moron :lol: ), or I have those I really want. So no need to have my wallet suffering in vain... :D

Now if they come with boxsets of bands whose albums are OOP or hard to get or never came in CD like:

Acid
Anacrusis
Pariah
Angel Dust
ADX
High Power
Dunwich
Killers (FR)
Midnight Sun
Obus
Praying Mantis
Sortilege

stuff like these.

zeppelin said:
I Wish Pink Floyd would do one.
There have been some throughout the years. "Critical review: Inside Pink Floyd 1967-1974", "Critical review 1975-1996", "Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd", "Box 1975-1988". Still as far as I know one of the best is "Shine On" A lavish and expensive eight-CD box set of Pink Floyd's greatest hits -- which are all albums, naturally. Seven albums (A Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason) have been digitally remastered; when the eight discs are set together on the shelf, their spines form the prism and rainbow from the cover of The Dark Side of the Moon. Shine On also includes an extra disc of early singles, housed in a digipack, and a hardcover book with plenty of pictures and text.

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,146661,00.html

Lets see, Megadeth just released their remastered versions. Would've been cool if they would've offered them in a box set like Maiden's Eddie's Head. I would also like to see a Metallica one of their first 4 albums remastered and 2 extra discs of demos live rareties and DVD of the new tour (or some old show). Black Sabbath, Ozzy years. None of these Ozzy boxsets with mix of Sabbath and Solo tunes. I think there has been one, but it was only like 3 or 4 discs. I don't want that. I want all the Ozzy albums with MAYBE remastered artwork. I would also love to see a Dream Theater one with demos and rare live stuff and covers and video.

Wyvern said:
I don't believe in box sets. I either have all the albums of the band (because they rule or because I'm a moron :lol: ), or I have those I really want. So no need to have my wallet suffering in vain... :D

Now if they come with boxsets of bands whose albums are OOP or hard to get or never came in CD like:

Acid
Anacrusis
Pariah
Angel Dust
ADX
High Power
Dunwich
Killers (FR)
Midnight Sun
Obus
Praying Mantis
Sortilege

stuff like these.
seconded

Id say Iron Maiden,(not sure if there already is one), with Dianno Dickinson and Blaze. My dad has found a shitload of demo's, b-sdides, and live songs of Blaze singing classic Maiden on soul-seek. They could release all them, and some extra stuff.

I hate box sets!
If it's a band that I like enough to drop $100 on a box set, then I probably allready have all of their cds! So, I end up dropping all that cash to get a couple of previously unreleased cover songs... what a scam!

Another reason I hate box sets...

Take the Led Zeppelin box set, where Jimmy Page decided that he would shuffle around all of the tracks, which is just utter blasphemy! I grew up on Zeppelin, and if I'm in a Zeppelin III - type of mood, I want to listen to Zeppelin III straight thru. I don't want to hear the songs all shuffled up. Hell, they even split up Heart Breaker & Living Loving Maid on the box set, and those songs are practially married on the original album.

AntonCrowley_16 said:
Id say Iron Maiden,(not sure if there already is one), with Dianno Dickinson and Blaze. My dad has found a shitload of demo's, b-sdides, and live songs of Blaze singing classic Maiden on soul-seek. They could release all them, and some extra stuff.

Iron Maiden have the Eddie's Archive.

I also have a 4 CD comp of rare B-Sides and other stuff. I don't remember where I got it but it's got everything from the old singles.