Bran Barr - Les Chroniques de Naerg

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Listened to this album last night....shitty production, which is a shame because this album would be a real corker otherwise.

Musically, it's outstanding: bagpipes, tin whistles, lots of folky stuff.....and RIFFS! Lot's of Cobbet type riffs (many similarities to the vibe of "The Bastard", no shit), all grim vocals.

Anyone else heard this? I'll try and get a yousendit out at some point.

Love it. Especially the juke and jiveyness of the last song. it just sounds cool 'cause it seems all the band members get a shot at vocals.

Production never really bothers me. THe album was self-released so.......

Yep, 'tis a shame. ANy fan of Cruachan's classic debut should love Bran Barr. I definitely prefer the Bran Barr album to Waylander's debut.

I think the production must hold it back from getting wider recognition. I'm not a production elitist or anything, but this one just sounds like the master tape was dropped in a cow dung or something. It just sounds 'faulty'.

Bran Barr are good and funny but hardly my cup of ale when it comes to French pagan metal with old instruments. I'm more into Aes Dana or Heol Telwen.

I assume everyone on this thread (at least J.) knows that Richard Loudins of Bran Barr is also the leader of Nydvind (viking metal) and Despond (doom), two highly deserving acts in their respective niche.

Ellestin said:
Bran Barr are good and funny but hardly my cup of ale when it comes to French pagan metal with old instruments. I'm more into Aes Dana or Heol Telwen.

I assume everyone on this thread (at least J.) knows that Richard Loudins of Bran Barr is also the leader of Nydvind (viking metal) and Despond (doom), two highly deserving acts in their respective niche.

This is an A+ thread response, I mean, it's got everything. A comparative statement with regards to 2 other highly regarded acts, and and informative statement about 2 other acts that ties directly into the thread's topic!

(in other words, I found it helpful, lol)

Goddamn, this thread inspired me to listen to this again...but it's not on my iPUD!! :yell:

And then there's mention of other bands like Heol Telwen and Nydvind which I've yet to hear :zombie:

MAKE THE MADNESS STOP!!