Breakdown Bass Drops/Bass Punch's

i tell kids bass drops are retarded but if they MUSTTT have them, i take the entire finished master project and the very final final step i do is bass drops, and the reason being is that i re-import the finished master .wav onto it's own track in a new project, create a second track for bass drops, and then bounce again. this is because i want the bassdrops to go around the master bus, and i'm sure reaper's routing functionality can do this one way or another...maybe...but this is just the crude and cumbersome way of doing it that i have employed in the past. sounds perfect. no pumping, no fart, sounds exactly the way you want it too. limiters always freak out when you smack them with a bassdrop and the result is what sounds like the cone of the speaker shredding right in front of you. awful. gutwrenching, even.

everytime this thread pops up i believe it's necessary to quote andy:

"bassdrops are gay! JUST SAY NO!"

I agree with your post 100 percent

I haven't done bass drops in a while, but the last time I did I had good results side-chaining a multi-band compressor over the mix (with only the lowest band turned on), triggered by the bass drop. That way the drop fit nicely into its own pocket in the sub area of the mix for that split second, with no pumping and no distortion. Sure you lose a little low end on your kick/ bass for a split second, but no one will notice as the mix sounds natural/ balanced still with with the boom filling in that area.

Did you really think that the usage and making of subdrops was really going to be changed even in the slightest over the last year?
Come the fuck on man

of course not, but my new post might attract some new people to the forum or people who have bettered their techniques for implementing them in the mix, than say...the three year old post i found here.