BRING ME THE HORIZON Singer Praises Rap Music: 'Rock's Gone Soft'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
According to The Pulse Of Radio, BRING ME THE HORIZON frontman Oli Sykes has said in a new interview with Music Week that rap music is much more exciting these days than rock, explaining, "Rappers are almost the new rock 'n' roll or punk or whatever. Rock's gone soft, it's gone miserable and boring, there's not really much exciting about it. So it's important that we cross over, because we feel like we belong more in a place where people just like music and it's not about how heavy it is." Keyboardist Jordan Fish added: "A lot of artists I like have changed constantly throughout their career. RADIOHEAD are one of my favorite bands — and I wouldn’t ever compare us to RADIOHEAD — but a lot of people would have said, 'I prefer [RADIOHEAD's second LP] 'The Bends'. But I don't like that old stuff, I like them from when they went electronic onwards." Sykes told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that the band's musical progression goes hand in hand with their personal growth. "It's got to be true to where we are at," he said. "I think some bands at this age, when you get into fifth album and stuff as well, are still trying to sing about the same things and stuff to make the kids happy that used to listen to them. But if it's not true to what you are, it's not where you're at in life, it's gonna look transparent. I think that's why we've managed to carry on as a band, because we've always evolved and we've always made music that we still really, really love. It's not music that we used to love." BRING ME THE HORIZON's new album, "Amo", is due out January 25 and the band will kick off a North American tour on January 23 in Nashville. First single "Mantra" is currently No. 8 on the rock radio chart.

Continue reading...