Bringing out picking?

Lustrum

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2009
Dudes.

Working on some songs with a band that basically sound like a deathcore band crossed with Fear Factory and I'm really struggling to bring out the picking at parts.

They have riffs that are the classic "machine gun" style of FF, but i cant get the picking to come out, it just sounds like pick (riff) not Pickpickpick (riff)!

Any tips? :)

Using shitall gain and plenty of mids, but god damn!

Cheers dudes.

I don't let my clients pussy pick, got em using heavy strings / heavy picks and in the room it sounds awesome!

Using shitall gain

could be your problem, right here

as you up the gain, you also decrease the clarity of what's being played. more gain = shit getting lost, especially with fast material

If you're really trying to salvage some shitty DI's and retracking isnt an option you can dry a transient designer on the DI's before the amp

light palm muting will also help alot

+1

This, and shit loads of mids should help bring out the attack more, a nice heavy sharp pick and heavy strings will also help, but really its down to the player, if he is playing like a bitch and isn't digging in, then he won't get the sound he wants :D

Sometimes, I'll automate a guitar track so the attack is a bit louder than the decay. Or you can copy ONE good attack point and paste it at the beginning of each relative note.

But if you're going to do either, don't do it to the processed track, only the DI transient.