Broken Arrow - Abyss Of Darkness

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Broken Arrow - Abyss Of Darkness
2003 - Scarlet Records
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Scarlet Records website.

Hmmm... mid-tempo melodic power metal from Italy... The cover shows naked mermaids and submarines... There's a song called 'The Gothic Line'... I think it's fair to say that I'm not going to be terribly impressed by this one.

Admittedly, the usual power metal cliches are avoided (a production that sucks the power out of the guitars, helium-inhaling vocalists, overblown keyboard melodies, etc...) - in fact, the vibe is more one of a cross between Dio-era Black Sabbath, Rainbow and Helloween, with a generally NWOBHM production and a greater predilection for straightforward hard rock rather than pretentious noodle-fests. The guitar work is as impressive as is the norm for this style of music (although the infrequent, brief lead breaks are generally more impressive than the full-blown solos), the rhythm section is driving yet uncomplicated, and the vocals seem to have a hint of the German power metal scene about them...

Sadly, the first half of the album is far superior to the second - even the two tracks that make up 'Isaac's Story' (parts 1 and 2) with their quasi-progressive tendencies can't stop the album's general dip in quality from 'Stalingrad' onwards... and even worse, I didn't find the first half of the album particularly gripping either. This kind of thing is being done elsewhere, and far better.

5/10