circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Buried Inside – Chronoclast
Relapse Records – RR6629-2 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

6629_216.jpg

On the basis of principle alone, I should be pissed at Relapse Records for denying me a prize package that I won long ago, on behalf of SMN News. But, citing the level of quality that emanates from said label, it’s difficult to hold a grudge.

Buried Inside are a dense, knotty outfit that have undoubtedly crafted Chronoclast because they’re sick of getting yelled at for being late to work all the time; what a fitting scenario for an album that rails against the concept of time, eh? Not only is the lyrical paradigm astonishing, but also the music is as well.

“Introduction” does a fair job of building up to the intense “Time As Ideology,” which is an onslaught of rapid drumming, thick guitar walls, and screams. The latter lasts for approximately three minutes, but then segues into the Isis-esque “Time As Methodology.” The brooding dies as soon as “Time As Surrogate Religion” commences, cause it’s back to organized chaos. The energy level that Buried Inside possess is rarely paralleled in my humble opinion; constancy is another, notable strongpoint of the group, and the songs are concise enough to lack monotony. Tasteful, Mastodon-like instrumentation occurs at the 1:50 minute mark of “Time As Surrogate Religion,” and is exhausting insomuch that it’s utterly riveting. Atypically, “Time As Imperialism” begins in a tranquil fashion, but serves as more than an interlude. A much-needed breather – in “Reintroduction” – is book ended by the heftier material. The mayhem ensues once again with “Time As Abjection,” although “Time As Automation” is musically the same, at some points, as another number heard on Chronoclast. The cleanup hitters (“Time As Commodity” and “Time As Resistance”) are every bit as strong as the prior batters in the lineup. Drawbacks? Yeah, there are a few: the disc clocks in at exactly forty minutes, some individuals may not enjoy the constant synergy of the soft and heavy material, and yet others might misconstrue the group’s music as a muddled mess.

Fortunately, Buried Inside had me spellbound during the entire time that Chronoclast caressed my ears. This record is dangerously good. Watch for it.

9/10

Official Buried Inside website
Official Relapse Records website