Burzum

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Any thoughts on such can be posted here if you want! :)

Personally I love Burzum. The atmosphere of the pre-jail stuff is incredible!
I also really love the album, 'Daudi Baldrs' which is obviously just a keyboard album, but I think for what it is it's really cool. It's especially atmopsheric whilst reading a book on Norse mythology, like I've often done.

The best Burzum album for me would have to be 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss'

Where do the rest of you stand (and don't hold back).

Well... I'm not a Burzum fan but Varg has done some great stuff.. my favorite album is Hlidskjalf.. I just love that keyboard stuff he did on that album! I don't like Daudi Baldrs so much.. Filosofem is my faverite metal album of Burzum. Det Som Engang Var has also some good songs..

Speaking as a somewhat recent fan of Burzum - many people told me Burzum was the most overrated, worst band ever. They were very wrong.

Burzum creates true atomosphere beter than any band in the Norwegian scene at that time. 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss' is easily my favorite of what I own. 'Det Som En Gang Var' is good, but not near as atmospheric as 'Hvis . . .'. I have been thinking about getting 'Philosofem', but not if it is in the same vein as 'Det Som . . .'. I spend most of my Burzum moments with 'Hvis . . .'.

I really like Burzum. The atmosphere that Varg created on a lot of his albums was a unique one. It seemed almost tortured, and painful to listen to [and I mean that as a compliment].

My favorites are "Burzum/Aske" and "Filosofem."

My favorite is still the self-titled album... it just has this unique atmosphere and charm to it... fucking classic.

I simply love the atmosphere Varg creates.No musican (that i know) createt such sad,melancolic and..."tortured" music.If this music refelcts Vargs inner self...than it must be fucking dark in there...
A center is right,some times it really kind of painful to listen to Buzrum.
The song "Jesu Tod" for example...it isn't really one of the best ones...but hell this is so "twisted"...I cant describe this feeling it raises in me.Same with "Dunkelheit","Det som engang var" and "A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirtit" .They drive me away from my room,my town...where ever I am and down into another sphere.Well...some of you will know what i mean....it is such a...maybe i sould say "lost forgotten sad" feeling to listen to Vargs records.Excuse my bad English...but i can't say better what i think/feel about Burzum.

I know what you mean with the "lost forgotten sad" feeling.... I get the same feeling whenever I listen to Spell of Destruction or Key to the Gate. I downloaded them, cause I was curious to hear what Burzum's music was like. But I really don't like Burzum at all.... And Varg is a fool too.

I love equally all the metal albums! and I don't think that Burzum is an over-rated band........ but exactelly the oposite! because lot of people "boycot" them just because Varg is rightist, and not judging from their music!

I agree with all who said about the atmosphere of this band...... it's something unique!

Even if some people don't dare to accept this... Burzum was a main influence in the black metal genre!

When Burzum started writing stuff like the song "Det Som En Gang Var", he finally realized his true genius. A lot of the stuff on the album 'Det Som En Gang Var' is more riff oriented. Burzum shines when he is creating songs with atmosphere, not cool riffs. Frankly, his riffs aren't all that amazing. Listen to Immortal or Emperor for that.

One more comment . . . what if Varg would have recruited Hellhammer to play drums on the albums. IMO Varg sucks at the drums. Luckily the music is good enough to cover this up, unless you are a drummer that can't stand simple drum patterns.

Yes Varg sucks as a drummer....
BUT!
this monotonous way of playing the drums is part of Burzum's atmosphere... Maybe it was better that Hellhammer didn't play the drums on an album but only on rehersals...

I don't really seem to notice if the drums are too simple or not; they seem well-suited enough. So, I guess I do agree that anything more technical would take away from the atmosphere a bit.

I think the drums have their charm... I suppose it also means more that he played them because it meant the entire creation was his, for better or worse.

The drums fit to the music well, black metal is not about skills, rather about atmosphere, obscure feelings. I respect that he played on everything (except for bass on Aske), thus having the creation of his own.
And note that when he wrote the "metal" albums, between 91-93, he wasnt a rightist. That came later.

What does everybody think or Varg's vocals? A lot of people absolutely hate them. I think they are VERY, VERY fitting. In fact, they make up at least 50% of the atmosphere of the music. Very tortured.