Burzum's ambient work

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Ok, I'm going to try and start a discussion that dosen't end up turning into a gay argument and getting closed. So, what does everybody think of Varg's ambient albums? I think that, like his black metal, it's genius. It's not as good as the BM, but it's great. Both Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskjalf are great pieces of work. DB's neoclassical inspiration and use of minimal keyboards create a great atmosphere and archaic song styles.

Yeah, it has been done quite recently. For the record though, I love later Burzum, Hlidskjalf in particular. What's the best Artillery release?

Burzum, ambient or otherwise, is one of those bands I just don't "get." Never interested me.

Artillery are responsible for the single greatest lyric of all time, that being "When shit turns to gold, the poor will be born without ass!" And yes, they're a total winnar of a bandd. Terror Squad is probably their best.

I love both Burzum ambient works. Absolutely genius, moreso with Hildskjalf than daudi balders. Though albums like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, and Det Som Et Gang Var are also brilliant albums. Burzum is great period. :) Varg's a musical genius.

Personally I think they are brillant, especially Hlidskjalf, which is actually better then most of his metal releases. Everything is just structured and layered so well on that album. I think it's still growing on me actually...

Whats this ambient stuff like?
I hated the keyboard tracks on the black metal albums by Burzum... Tomhet was almost listenable but all of it was very boring.
Is all ambient music by Burzum like that or did it get less boring? I cannot imagine listening to a whole album of monotonous keyboard sounds...
I love black metal Burzum, though!

Jean-Pierre said:
*YAWN* So, anyone listen to Artillery?

Artillery are amazing. I can't believe Fear of Tomorrow was made in 1985, and Terror Squad is excellent.

Freanan said:
Tomhet was almost listenable but all of it was very boring.

I thought it was great, but that's all I've heard of his ambient stuff.

Pyrus said:
Burzum, ambient or otherwise, is one of those bands I just don't "get." Never interested me.

I think I know why. You like thrash, in all it's 5689464896 riff change per song and non-stop speed glory.

anonymousnick2001 said:
BACK had a few good songs, as well.

Almost all the songs on B.A.C.K. were good. Artillery is one of those bands that didn't start to suck when they got older. They'vd had a flawless career.

Freanan said:
Whats this ambient stuff like?
I hated the keyboard tracks on the black metal albums by Burzum... Tomhet was almost listenable but all of it was very boring.
Is all ambient music by Burzum like that or did it get less boring? I cannot imagine listening to a whole album of monotonous keyboard sounds...
I love black metal Burzum, though!
I'd sugest giving Hlidskjalf a shot. The songs are more diverse and less repetitive (though I find the repetition to be effective) then his earlier works, and the instrumentation is very organic. Daudi Baldrs has that midi sound which can grow annoying, but is still excellent if you just focus on the music. But if you didn't like songs such as Han Som Reiste you won't like this album...

Artili-who?
Burzum I do know however. I doubt Artiliwhoever are nearly as good though. A separate topic for that band would be wise.

Anyway.

As Demiurge said, Tomhet is good. First time I heard it I was not expecting to be purely synth. However, just because you do not like Tomhet does not mean that you will inherently dislike Hlidskjalf. The music has evolved a lot over the 3 album period. If anything Daudi Baldrs sounds a bit hollow in comparison.
Even though Hliskjalf uses minimalistic keyboards, I would say it is less repetitive than the song Tomhet. I just think the sound texture on that album is far richer.