Buying a laptop.

Nov 16, 2001
Spain (Madrid)
Visit site
Hi folks! I'm considering buying a portable pc for a number of aplications, the main one being it's use live with my band. I'd also use it as a mobile DAW. When playing live I'd use it together with a master keyborad controling reason. So I basically need a reasonably powerfull machine, but not state of the art, that is reliable enough to handle reason in a live situation.

Let's say my budget lies around the 1000€ mark. I've been looking at a couple of options. Centrinos seem to be the trend, as fr as I can see. Is that correct? Is there anithing wrong about AMD laptops? I feel confident with Asus computers (my main DAW is based arround an Asus mobo/Athlon 64 and I love it). I'd like a Carillon but they are a bit over the budget. Powerbooks are definately out (I ain't got that kind of money). Any thoughts or suggestions?

What's the US conversion on that dollar amount? I work for Dell, and Im still gonna recommend an Alienware to you. They make these dual-core AMD Opteron, RAID configured, dual optical drive LAPTOPS for cheaper than our "well-equipped" Inspiron 1705's...

nothing to do with your thread really...but i was just over in spain for christmas vacation (arrived in barcelona, 2 weeks in zaragosa, and departed from madrid)

i'm in the market for a new pc as well, but after sticking it out with an old (non-upgradable!!) laptop for about 4 years...i'm going back to a desktop

desktop - 2 grand - you get a fucking ROCKETSHIP loaded to the BALLZ.

laptop - 2 grand - you get a REALLY BIG SCREEN with a pussy underneath.

get an ibook, load it with ram and thats doable for 1200.00 usd. i got my powerbook like three months ago on the apple website for 1500.00usd. check out the refurbished section of the apple website, there are some killer deals there. as far as alienware, they really nice pcs but super pricey, probably over two grand easy for a nice laptop. stick with a mac, youll be stoked and probably save more money in the long run.

yea the new macbooks look awesome, i was set on geting a powerbook g4 for graduation btu since those new ones came out for the same money Im def. getting it. Im stil confused about the new universal software deal, will older mac stuff still work and will pc stuff now work as well?

Jordan

Hm... Might dish out the extra $ for the mac then. How are the macbooks turning out? I'm usually cautious when it comes to buying brand spanking new technology. Wouldn't it be wise to wait untill they have bugs and stuff sorted out on the macintels?

According the german Macweek there will be a second version of the new MacIntel processor.
So I would wait until the new version are out.
Never buy a 1.0 version ;-)

Also a lot of software needs to be ported for the new processor. So I would
check if the software you use is ready for that.

On the PC side the Toshiba Satelite Pro laptops are very stable and known to be "Pro Audio". Whatever that means but they are affordable (around 1300 Euros here).
And since most laptops share the RAM with the video chip, you need more RAM.
But more RAM is always good ;-)

The MacBooks aren't shipping yet are they? I think it would be wise for you to wait until the bugs are sorted out. Even if there are bugs and you buy one, any problems should be covered under warranty or AppleCare (if you choose to get AppleCare) :)