Buying bulk speaker cable, quick question

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Speaker cable from a guitar amp head to a cab is 2-conductor, right? Cuz I see 4- and even 8- conductor cable here, and I'm just wondering under what circumstances that would be used (I've never heard of a balanced speaker cable...). Thanks guys!

Balanced...

What you have is a ground, a plus, and a minus. The plus and the minus carry the 'hot' and the ground is, of course, the ground. The plus and the minus carry their signal at opposite polarities; at the source and destination one is 'flipped', so while the signal stays intact any noise picked up is effectively cancelled out (signal is flipped twice and added to itself; noise is picked up by the two cables at opposite polarities and then when one gets flipped at the destination the noise of one is out of phase with the noise of the other so it goes away), giving you a quieter cable.

That aside, I'd go for quality cable, like Canare or, if you feel like putting down the coin for it, Mogami. Two-conductor cable is all you need.

Jeff

Haha, thanks Jeff, but I'm not that ignorant - I do know what balanced cable is! So the active ingredient is that 2-conductor is sufficient? Killer, thanks dude!

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking it was a problem, just that I've never heard of it on a speaker cable cuz there's so much power going through that interference seems unlikely. So what use would there be for a 4- or even 8-conductor speaker cable?

So what use would there be for a 4- or even 8-conductor speaker cable?
Those are often used in biamp/triamp situations and/or to run a single cable that is pin crossed and jumped to multiple cabinets.
So a single biamped wedge might accept an NL4 (4 conductor) that carries both the high and low amp signal.

Hmm, the place I'm buying from (www.partsexpress.com) actually only carries Dayton speaker cable - it seems pretty good, at 13 guage and all, and I'm getting Neutrik connectors for each end. I feel like since I'm getting 40 ft., if I were to spend much more, then it would make more sense for me to just get, say, a 40 ft. Monster P500 cable with free shipping from sweetwater ($65). Just outta curiosity, though, where would you recommend buying from that carries bulk Mogami and/or Canare?

No Monster! Monster cable is horribly overpriced, with 'voodoo' and 'magic' everyfuckingwhere you look.

I would go to Redco.com - I'd avoid Markertek, bunch of lying pricks...

"Well, yes... while Canare Star Quad does have 'quad' in the name, and is advertised both on the Canare site and ours as being four-conductor, and there isn't the slightest indication that anything with the name Canare Star Quad would be anything less than four-conductor... it appears that you ordered the two-conductor Star Quad that only came into existence to cover our asses so that we don't have to admit that we sent you the wrong cable because we're a bunch of twits. Thank you for your business."

Motherfuckers...

Jeff