buying new guitar

jesus69lol

Apr 13, 2007
Ok so I'm in the market for a new guitar in the ~$1200 range. I'm pretty sure I've got it narrowed down to the gibson explorer pro or the esp ec 1000 does anyone have any recommendations one way or the other (or maybe even a completely new suggestion?) I definitely dig the looks of the explorer but for this kind of money I'd rather just get the best sounding guitar I can. I largely play metal (obviously...I'm here) but I like to foray into other styles as well so versatility is a must.

So, fire away.

NO idea how much one of these runs. Possibly out of your price range. (Eclipse custom)

Eclipse-CTM_STBC.jpg

check out zerberus guitars this one is the hydra 2

Black1.jpg

my buddy got one at it seriously slays.

I bought an Explorer last year - white with ebony fb. The stock pups sound ok.
The SL-1 better - better neck imo, but I still play the Explorer just as often.

I got a decent deal on it, since I picked up a Breedlove 12-string at the same time.

EC-1000 out of those two, but if you can talk with the guys at KxK you might get an even better deal on a custom job for a little more coin... and it'll have more resale value and will be an all-around better guitar.

If you want to spend too much money on not enough guitar, go Gibson.

Jeff

The EC-1000 will definitely give you more bang for the buck than Gibson/Epiphone. I'd also check out Schecter, they make some great stuff these days, particularly the Hellraiser series.

I have a gibson explorer and it's great. it's got emgs in it though. i think the pro version is a little smaller? i think the full explorer size is the right size, it also looks the coolest. i love the shape. it's not a very versatile guitar though, i'm guessing the pro version won't be any different.
my mate works in a guitar shop, they just got the ec-1000 in and he says it's the best les paul style guitar he's ever touched (he's played a lot of guitars). both are good choices, but definitely try out the gibson a lot because they can be really hit or miss, and even with a superb specimen are generally not particularly good bang for the buck.