Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Byla – s/t

Translation Loss Records – TL8 – 03/29/2005

By Nathan Pearce

Byla.jpg

Featuring members of Dysrhythmia and Behold . . . The Arctopus, you’d expect something technical and spastic from this band. Yet Byla is basically on the opposite spectrum of both of those description. Try ambient, droning, and beautiful.

This self titles release is yet another entry into the instrumental (or mostly so) world currently occupied by groups like Sunn 0))), God Speed You Black Emperor!, and Mono. Yet Byla holds it’s own like a champ. The music can simply be described as dream-like ambience, but it should be noted this is primarily done with guitar. You’d expect a band this atmospheric and fluid to be primarily keyboards. Nonetheless, this music can create such an all-encompassing trance-like feeling, that I wouldn’t blame anybody for not knowing what instruments are being used at any point on this album. The music is simply beautiful, and it sucks the listener in so entirely that thinking is not a requirement for this band.

Like Sunn 0))), Byla focuses their attention on non-percussion based soundscapes. Unlike Sunn )))), Byla focuses their energy on a positive spiritual experience. At times I actually felt like I wanted to lie down and meditate . . . or do some yoga or something. This music is simply serene.

Well, if I haven’t used enough clichéd adjectives to describe this band and their music, let me know and I’ll edit a few more in. Byla is peaceful, beautiful, and atmospheric listening for fans of instrumental bliss. Yoga is optional.

9/10

Byla’s official Website

Translation Loss Records’ Official Website