cables question

SoClose

Oct 10, 2007
got myself a trigger kit and now i need to get some cables.
im assuming cheap ones will do the trick here.
do i need low z or high z?
xlr to xlr? or xlr to 1/4"?

lastly does anyone have any good suggestions or site for some nice 25-30 foot
cheapies?

Jacks depend on the equipment you'll be connecting with them. Figure out the impedance of the gear and match the cables to that. Build your own cables - they take very little time or knowledge and save you a great deal of money.

Jeff

I googled for about 10 minutes, theres no fucking specs on these anywhere.

I've heard that these have a High output, I've also heard that triggers have a very low output.

In any event I'd xlr to xlr. If they are too loud, you can pad the preamp. If they are too quiet you can turn up the gain. If it was line level there isn't any gain staging unless you run it into a mixer, but then you'd need 2x more cables.

Mic level, xlr to xlr.

right on. yeah i couldnt find anything either... i figured there would be a bunch of people here using them.

They only use XLR connections for the snap on feature I'm pretty sure. They aren't even balanced. I'd venture to say they're just line level cables with an xlr connector on one end. I think two of the pins on the xlr are just soldered together if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Yea I'm looking at one now. The 1/4" plug isn't even a TRS. Just a standard 1/4" like you'd use on your guitar. So that 3rd pin is essentially used for nothing.

Confirmed. I took a look at an acoustic Ddrum trigger (I'm assuming you got a set of those) and two of the pins on the XLR jack are indeed just soldered together. With trigger cables I wouldn't be too concerned about high quality anyway. You're just using them to call up samples anyway. The Ddrum trigger cables are pretty inexpensive, though. I think like between $12 and $15 USD for 15 or 20 footers. If you make your own just use regular unbalanced cable to save money (I'm sure you already thought of that). Or hell, maybe just get some of those bargain bin guitar cables they always sell super cheap in front of the accessories counter at guitar center, snip off one end and put a female xlr on it. Might even be cheaper than going 100% DIY, you'd have to check it out and do the maff.