Cage - Science Of Annihilation

tsorl

Borne on Wings of Steel
Aug 3, 2003
Finland
www.ollischroderus.fi
3284207163_cf3916786f_o.jpg

San Diego metallers CAGE will release their fifth album, "Science Of Annihilation", on May 22 through Music Buy Mail. Check out the cover artwork below.

The follow-up to the epic "Hell Destroyer", "Science Of Annihilation" sees CAGE "pushing its boundaries yet again in every department," according to a press release. "With tracks like 'Planet Crusher', 'Speed Kills', and 'The Scarlet Witch', be prepared to feel the need to turn it up, get in your car and drive fast as Hell! All of the classic CAGE heavy metal sound is intact and found all throughout this 12-track smasher! Like all previous CAGE offerings, these songs will stick in your mind and cause many sleepless nights! If you love classic metal anthems, vocals that soar to the heavens and shatter glass, riffs that crunch your spine, and drums that blaze with thunder then behold…the science of annihilation!!"

In May of 2009, CAGE with be criss-crossing the European continent to build on its reputation as one of the best live performers in metal today. This will be a very special tour as each show will be a CD-release party of its own! "Science Of Annihilation" will be available first ONLY where the tour stops and CAGE performs. Only after the tour is complete will the CD be released through retailers, so the emphasis is for the purest and truest to come out and be part of the ultimate power metal party! CAGE will bring the music directly to the heavy metal fans and personally hand the CD to those that will be there live, to share the CAGE experience.

The dates are as follows:

May 07 - Hamburg, Germany - Ballroom
May 08 - Uelsen, Germany - UJT
May 09 - Datteln - Metal Mercenaries Fest
May 10 - Frankfurt, Germany - Die Halle
May 12 - Crailsheim, Germany - Die Eiche
May 13 - Regensburg, Germany - Gloria
May 14 - Prague, Czech Republic - Exit Chmelnice.
May 15 - Bratislava, Slovakia - Randal
May 16 - Ostrava, Czech Republic - Tancirna
May 17 - Torun, Poland - Trabant
May 19 - Gent, Belgium - The Frontline
May 20 - Antwerpen, Netherlands - De Roots
May 21 - Oberhausen, Germany - Helvete
May 22 - Kerkrade,Netherlands - Rocktempel
May 23 - Uster, Switzerland - Elements Of Rock

Yeah, looks nice. Never heard of that record company though so it's probably going to be as hard to get as Hell Destroyer was initially. Unless you're lucky enough to attend one the gigs, that is.

edit: Since when has Antwerpen been in Netherlands actually? :D

Looking forward for listening new album. Excellent band and "Hell destroyer" is overwhelming IMO :headbang:.

They were supposed to play here in Madrid in an underground festival but promoters got no replay when inintially it was spoken. It´s a pity ´cause I saw them live last year at Keep It True and it was a blast.

There's a 3 minute clip of the nicely titled song "Planet Crusher" on the band's Myspace page. Sound quality is absolute shit but this is because of the low bitrate mp3 encoding, one shouldn't draw any conclusions on the album's production based on this...

But the music definitely sounds like the Cage we know, they've not gone soft rock.

The only album of them I like is the the 1st one (Unveiled). Since then, they've become a lot less melodic with each disc and the singer screams way too much, overdoing the Halford/Ripper thing. And the fact that they added extreme elements in their latest albums bugged me. I'll definitely pass on this one I think, unless the melodic elements are back in their sound...

Well, the album is out now. The good news: the songs are excellent, they haven't lost anything. Sean sounds great.

...and the bad news: The production is just god-awful. :erk:
Not only bad but really bad, totally amateurish. It's mastered way too loud and the mix isn't any good either. I can't imagine any professional producer doing work like this not to mention the band actually green-lighting it. :erk:

Can't wait to get the CD... to find out who's responsible.

I reviewed this album for Aardschok magazine. I gave it a 95/100. In the review I wrote that this album is a modernized version of 'Painkiller'.
Just like Scott Travis was a shot of energy in the arm for Judas Priest so did Norm Leggio (ex-Psychotic Waltz) enhance the energy level for Cage.

It is at least as good as 'Painkiller', personally however, I believe it is even better than 'Painkiller'. That may sound like sacrilege, but wait until you heard this monster of an album a few times. It's awesome.

I reviewed this album for Aardschok magazine. I gave it a 95/100. In the review I wrote that this album is a modernized version of 'Painkiller'.
Just like Scott Travis was a shot of energy in the arm for Judas Priest so did Norm Leggio (ex-Psychotic Waltz) enhance the energy level for Cage.

It is at least as good as 'Painkiller', personally however, I believe it is even better than 'Painkiller'. That may sound like sacrilege, but wait until you heard this monster of an album a few times. It's awesome.

I have a real hard time with the vocals. I don't know, the guy has a killer range and all, but probably it's the fact that this kind of screaming vox doesn't appeal to me anymore. I have the same problems with Ripper Owens. So, I don't see me playing the new Cage a lot, as it was the case with their last few ones.

The weird thing is that I still enjoy the Painkiller album. I also enjoy Ralf Scheepers vox a lot. Probably the fact that he toned down the screaming thing a lot on the last 2 or 3 albums helps, and the fact that the music is much more melodic than Cage...

I used to love this band. I have all their discs and have seen them live twice and they always put on a good show.

They desperately need to improve their songwriting though. The guitar riffs and vocal melodies are just way too generic to make me want to keep buying their stuff.