TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Artist: Callenish Circle
Title: [Pitch.Black.Effects]
Release Date: 2005
Label: Metal Blade

Holland’s Callenish Circle have left me with a good first impression upon the release of their 5th album "[Pitch.Black.Effects]". I shamefully admit this is one band I have been sleeping on but always planned on getting around to check out. I hear a lot of things here that I have heard before (a lot of industrial influence, a bit of electronica, the Soilwork/In Flames influence) but there is something in the bands formula that keeps them interesting and prevents me from stopping the album before finishing it. I understand this is a new formula from the bands prior works and some older fans may be disappointed. Rather than abandon their trademark sound I say that it is still very present with these new elements just adding to it. I find the way the band blends everything together and deliver their goods with this album it is fresh sounding rather than the usual beating of a dead horse. I feel if pushed this band could gain a wide audience here on the American metal scene. They definitely have the right bait for the younger audience to bite. From the 1st song to the 10th song the band keeps things very varied and leaves you wondering what is next to come. "Ignorant" sounds like it could have been on Disturbed’s 1st album just death metal style while parts of "Schwarzes Licht" sound like it could have been off the latest Amon Amarth cd, then add in the industrial/electronica moments and a female vocal and you have something very unique. Taking a risk and pushing their musical boundaries was worth the risk in this case and will help the band develop even more in the future to come. I find this band have a lot to offer and would like to see them soon a part of an American thrash/death metal package. Take away Despised Icon and Callenish Circle would be the perfect opener for the upcoming Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Krisiun tour.

http://www.metalasylum.net