Can anyone recommend a Myrtle Beach hotel?

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Hi All,

We are considering a trip to Myrtle Beach in August to try our kids out on their first trip requiring an airplane. We have a vacation guide that lists tons of hotels in MB and the reviews of the hotels on-line are pretty interchangeable, so it's hard to get places to stand out.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a place to stay that is (1) family friendly - my daughters are 6 and 8, (2) close to shopping / food so that we don't need to rent a car, and (3) away from any big loud party zones? I realize that (2) and (3) may be contradictory. Oh, and (4) I guess I should also ask for a place that's clean and well run.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

No idea, but you'll be about an hour and a half away from me. :D Tanger is supposed to be an awesome outlet mall, if your wife wants to abandon you and go shopping...

Make sure you research North Myrtle Beach as well. It seems a little cleaner and less hectic than MB, although the whole Grand Strand is extremely packed in the summer. It will be tough to spend the week there without renting a car - the restaurants, putt putt courses, shopping outlets, etc are scattered up and down the area and entertainment is spaced out pretty wide.

I live 3 hours from there and have made several trips, though I usually avoid the summer because it can get busy.

Between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach, there are hundreds of hotels - yep, all similar.

You'll probably need to rent a car to do any activity besides going to the beach and swimming at the hotel. Things are spread out. All the big shopping is inland.

Lately we've gone to Dunes Village (http://www.dunesvillage.com/) - they have indoor and outdoor pools, are on the ocean, and have been affordable, though we've gone in the off season. It's a nice place. They may have some sort of shuttle (I honestly don't know) to the popular places to kill time (which are Broadway at the Beach - http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/ and Barefoot Landing -http://www.bflanding.com/).

Friends of mine like to go to Garden City / Surfside Beach - a little south - quieter, but close enough to get to restaurants, etc.

Though they've tried to put a damper on them, there are "bike weeks" - which you would want to avoid those areas - I don't have more details.

Let me know of any questions !!

Thanks for all the advice. The Dunes Village is one of the ones on our short list, so it was good to see that mentioned. But, as it turns out, we'll be saving this info for next year perhaps, as we made the last minute decision to do Orlando instead next month. You know, because we like 120 degree humidity and being miserably hot :)

Ken

We've got a place in MB and it's pretty insane all up the Strand all summer, doesn't really matter North MB or MB proper. They banned Bike Week in MB, which is cool for noise/traffic but it did hurt the businesses there. We do rent our place to people that we know so feel free to PM me if you want to find out about it, figure that PP peeps are close enough, haha....