Can Music Theory Improve Your Songwriting?

gnr10101

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2013
Hey Everyone,

I wrote a blog about this topic HERE and was curious to hear other people's perspectives. Let me know! :kickass:

I've been clasicaly trained on the violin, I've play it for years now, doing grade 8 next year, so I have a bit of insight in to this. I'd say yes and no. Yes because you know a lot more about scales and chord shapes and what not, so when you have a riff or a chord, you know what will go with it. However, sometimes if you know too much it is hard to write something original. My main instrument is guitar, and if i feel I'm getting nowhere I go and play with the piano, jumping in to that unknown realm always gives me unexpected and original results.

I've been clasicaly trained on the violin, I've play it for years now, doing grade 8 next year, so I have a bit of insight in to this. I'd say yes and no. Yes because you know a lot more about scales and chord shapes and what not, so when you have a riff or a chord, you know what will go with it. However, sometimes if you know too much it is hard to write something original. My main instrument is guitar, and if i feel I'm getting nowhere I go and play with the piano, jumping in to that unknown realm always gives me unexpected and original results.

I agree...when you say "grade 8" do you mean the registry of guitar tutors? I'm from the US and have wondered recently if it's worth doing that?

I agree...when you say "grade 8" do you mean the registry of guitar tutors? I'm from the US and have wondered recently if it's worth doing that?

Umm, I'm not really sure on the American terminology, but grade 8 is the highest level you achieve with an exam board