Can someone help me ?

osse87

Feb 6, 2003
Bergen, Norway
Visit site
All of this is focused on the heavy parts only.

I've got a serious problem. I only like Blackwater Park and My Arms, Your Hearse, maybe some on Still Life. I feel like on the other albums their sound is basically fast bass drums and a riff. That's it. The songs actually feel "empty" and "weak". Like it's full of millisecond holes or something. It sounds like BWP and MAYH have a steady "flow".

Maybe it's Martin Lopez's use of hi-hats on BWP and MAYH that does the trick, I don't know. Does someone noticed the same or can give me an explination ?

And yes, I'm a metal newbie. I'm a music newbie !!! I don't know any fancy expressions or anything like that. And it's hard for me to explain the problem above to you guys.

Dreamlord said:
No shit, Dr. Watson.

ROFLMFAO

Ok, to me you are liking Opeths heavier, darker, less-progish works. It's just your taste in music. Taste for some good swedish progressive death is an accuired one. You have to let it grow on you. ;)

hmm, well you should listen all cds and try to understand the concept of the songs. all songs are something special, you'll get the felling if you'll listen more. i like every their song, actually i love them. my advise to you is, when you listen opeth, you mustn't do nothing else, concentrate on the music.... and hell yes martin lopez is great drummer!!!

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Well, maybe your expecting too much. The stuff you don't like seems to be the more classic metal. Try listening to the music, rather than the arrangment. The riffs are amaing and the structures unique.

Opeth is a good place to start btw...
As mentioned, I'm a newbie. So what do you mean by classic metal ?

Think about it this way (and some have already sorta said this), Opeth is much like wine and onions, it's an acquired taste, as is all metal (and especially it's darker and harder forms). My progression goes as so (in this order): Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, Tool, Korn, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, then In Flames, Iced Earth, Nevermore, Opeth, Children of Bodom, Katatonia, Soilwork, Novembre, Dark Tranquility.

The band that really did it for me was In Flames, they were the ones that made me think, "hmmm, I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes..." And so began my great search for unpopular music(at least in my area), that was good. On the way I stumbled upon Opeth, I'm surprised you don't complain about his growling if you're new to this sorta music. Anyway, I had Opeth in constant play for months on end, and the stuff I would at first skip past to listen to what was after, I let play. And when I chose to let it play, I gave it a chance, it's not till later that you realize how much it's grown on you. Months later, I couldn't skip past certain songs anymore, it's like they were apart of me. And so I grew to like it.

Orchid and Morningrise are not exactly "skippy" and not "flowing", if you listen, it is very "flowable", it's just different. It's the sort of thing you have to lie in bed and just listen. My habit was to listen while doing homework from school; my homework took concentration, so I'd do homework and let the tracks run; before I knew it, I'd stop writing and catch myself listening for hours. Pretty soon homework took me the whole night to finish, and I'd come out of my room only for dinner and the restroom.

Anywho, just give them listens, be patient, and you'll discover Opeth is the best musical inspiration you'll ever find.

On Opeth's earlier albums, the songs seemed to focus more on atmosphere (such an ambiguous word!) and they tend to have less of a cohesive sound as compared with the last 3 releases. Songs would be divided into distinct "parts", sometimes lengthy acoustic arrangements, where as latter-day Opeth seems to flow together more. Perhaps this is what you're talking about, or maybe it is the distinct difference in guitar tone on the first two albums.

If you are new to metal, maybe Opeth isn't the best place to start, since they can be such an acquired taste. Go out and get some Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Pantera, etc. and try and trace the evolution of metal, get acquainted with the history for there was a lot of great music made long before Opeth came around.

I won't say I'm new to metal og progish things. The vocals are quite acceptable :D. I think it's drumming that's the core to the problem. And when you're talking about the three latest: I feel Deliverance hase the same "problem". (It's not at all a problem, it's my problem).

But I'm coping. What did I do first when hearing DemonOfTheFall ? I deleted the file immediately. But the mellow part was stuck in my head, and after to days I downloaded it again to hear it. Now it's one of my favorites. :D