Candlemass!

wach0052

underneath the waves
Oct 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I'm a big doom/death fan, and i had always heard that Candlemass were largely responsible for the culmination of this genre. I finally got "nightfall", regarded by many as their best, and it's nuts! Messiah, the singer, is crazy. The best part, though, is the music video on the bonus cd. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The music's great though, it's really growing on me. So, what other older doom albums do you peeps listen to? I've got old Cathedral (ssllllooooowww!), Anathema, My Dying Bride, and i've listened to morgion a bit.

Besides Black Sabbath you mean? :tickled:

Since many have been already cited, I may add:
Pentagram
Solstice
Northern Crown
Krux
Hour Of 13
Count Raven
Memento Mori
Church Of Misery
The Skull
Minaotauri
Last Chapter
Memory Garden
World Below
Witchcryer
Argus
Abstrakt Algebra
Doomshine
Forsaken
Well Of Souls
Orodruin
Thunderstorm
The Oath
Death Penalty
Northwinds (doom/prog)
Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine
Procession
Place Of Skulls
Orchid
Apocalypse Orchestra
Pagan Altar (more like folk with doom vibes, or doom with folk vibes)

Besides Black Sabbath you mean? :tickled:

Since many have been already cited, I may add:
Pentagram
Solstice
Northern Crown
Krux
Hour Of 13
Count Raven
Memento Mori
Church Of Misery
The Skull
Minaotauri
Last Chapter
Memory Garden
World Below
Witchcryer
Argus
Abstrakt Algebra
Doomshine
Forsaken
Well Of Souls
Orodruin
Thunderstorm
The Oath
Death Penalty
Northwinds (doom/prog)
Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine
Procession
Place Of Skulls
Orchid
Apocalypse Orchestra
Pagan Altar (more like folk with doom vibes, or doom with folk vibes)
What about MOURNFUL CONGREGATION?

I saw CANDLEMASS live on their "King of the Grey Islands" tour at Studio 7 in Seattle all those years ago. The were really good on stage, but there was maybe only 150 people there, which was very disappointing.
They haven't toured the US since.

I could never get into them. Mainly because I cannot stomach Messiah's vocals, but also I prefer brutal/sludgy/primal doom to the melodic one.
That being said, I have a soft spot for Solitude Aeturnus (and some other bands like this) so I liked the Rob Lowe era Candlemass.
I also believe it would be interesting to hear a full lenght with Mats Leven, seeing as his work in Krux was amazing.

I could never get into them. Mainly because I cannot stomach Messiah's vocals, but also I prefer brutal/sludgy/primal doom to the melodic one.
That being said, I have a soft spot for Solitude Aeturnus (and some other bands like this) so I liked the Rob Lowe era Candlemass.
I also believe it would be interesting to hear a full lenght with Mats Leven, seeing as his work in Krux was amazing.

I understand Messiah voice is not for everyone, and I also prefer Robert Lowe era.

Sadly they did only a couple of EPs with Mats Leven, that due the circumstances surrounding both, never got together in an album as was the logical step.

If you like SA, check Wheel a doom band from Germany, pure worship.