Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
Cans - Beyond The Gates
Noise Records - April 2004
by Graham Boyle

btg.jpg

Hammerfall singer, Joacim Cans has assembled what you might call a supergroup, for his debut solo effort, Beyond The Gates. Cans is joined by the likes of monster drummer Mark Zonder (Fates Warning), bassist Matt Sinner (Primal Fear), guitarists Metal Mike Chlasciak (Halford) and Hammerfall band mate, Stefan Elmgren. Add to this the songwriting credits of no less than Annihlator's Jeff Waters, David Chastain and Ronny Milianowicz (Dionysus, Sinergy). You have all the ingredients for something special.

I must admit that I am not the biggest Hammerfall fan around; I don't know their back catalogue note for note, nor I am that familiar with their 'true metal' sound.
'Beyond The Gates', however does sound like Hammerfall in a few places, though not too many. Opener 'Fields Of Yesterdays', is as melodic as it is majestic, with lots of keyboards throughout. 'Soul Collector' has a very Hammerfalleque chorus, while 'Back To Hell' could be a Hammerfall outtake with it's solid riffing.

It’s when Cans strays away from the Hammerfall sound that this album works for me.'Red Light' is a super infectious track, with an unforgettable chorus. 'The Key' is easily the best song on offer here, and the most melodic, with a very radio friendly chorus that will have you humming for hours. You could pretty much say the same about the wonderful 'Garden Of Eden'. These songs are the only two written by both Cans/Milianowicz - hopefully those two can get together again and write a full album together.

For the most part, Cans has managed to do something different enough from Hammerfall, but sometimes you just can't escape Can’s voice, which makes you think of his other band. The strong production from Cans, Elmgren and Charlie Bauerfeind has the music literally leaping from your speakers. Full marks for an excellent, full sounding production.

'Beyond The Gates' is not only an essential purchase for all Hammerfall fans, but also for fans of high quality melodic metal. Even someone who doesn’t like Hammerfall that much, like myself, found this to be of a very high standard. Twelve songs on offer and not a dud to be found.

8/10

Official Cans Website
Official Noise Records Website