Carnal Forge - Testify For My Victims

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Carnal Forge - Testify For My Victims
Candlelight Records - CDL346 - May 22, 2007
By George Grant

cforge.jpg

Hmm, let’s see, a Swedish band that plays a mixture of death and thrash metal with melodic touches. This sounds familiar. Indeed, Carnal Forge isn’t really known for their groundbreaking style. However, the band has grown a steady fan base with their music. On this their sixth full length album, Testify For My Victims, the band continues on with their extreme metal assault with familiar results.

This is the first album for lead singer Jens Mortensen since he joined the band in 2004. Although not as extreme as former vocalist Jonas Kjellgren, Mortensen does have a varied vocal approach. It is this varied vocal approach that helps save the music from sounding redundant. All too often Carnal Forge toes the predictable melodic death metal line. Such tracks as ‘Godsend God’s End’ and ‘End Game’ showcase the overused riffs made popular by Clayman era In Flames and later day At the Gates. However, this isn’t to say that all the music is derivative. The opening and title track, ‘Testify for My Victims,’ with its modern Nevermore vibe really caught my attention. Also, the single for the album, ‘Burning Eden,’ showcases Mortensen’s vocal abilities which will easily be stuck in your head as well as some very tasteful leads.

The sleek production on the album initially made me think Testify For My Victims was recorded at studio Fredman (I mean they are from Sweden!). Surprisingly though, Carnal Forge recorded this album at their own studio. This production job really does help lift the songs as well as assist the mediocre performance from the guitarists. They’re not bad, but they’re not stunning either. It’s this mediocrity that I believe sums up Carnal Forge perfectly. The music is fine at the moment, but for any lasting effect it’s best to look elsewhere. Testify For My Victims is really only for fans of the band’s previous releases. I don’t expect any new fans to be converted from this release.

Official Carnal Forge Website
Official Candlelight Records USA Website

Such tracks as ‘Godsend God’s End’ and ‘End Game’ showcase the overused riffs made popular by Clayman era In Flames and later day At the Gates. However, this isn’t to say that all the music is derivative. The opening and title track, ‘Testify for My Victims,’ with its modern Nevermore vibe really caught my attention.

So copying from the books of In Flames and Slaughter of the Soul is out of fashion nowadays, but if it is from Nevermore it's not a problem? Hmm...